From:
Lisa Leidig - Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 20:02:24 -0400
Hi everyone!

First of all, I would like to extend my condolences to the Jacobs family - I
can't begin to express my anger and disbelief at the sentence passed down --
I also can't begin to imagine what it must be like to have a family member
torn away like that.  Please accept my humble offerings - I am sponsoring a
ring at the next LOS show in memory of KODO.

Second, the thoughts on a national organization - Yes, we do have a number
of organizations already in place, but I think the idea of starting fresh is
a good one -- there are no hurts, slights, imagined slurs or what not
floating around when new blood is involved.  I certainly welcome the idea of
a ferret organization in which the primary purpose is to legalize ferrets,
have them recognized as domestic, and establish a sane quarantine policy.
The fly in the ointment is this: Its gonna take all of us, from the new
ferret owner with one baby, the experienced ferret owner with a group, the
shelter overflowing with adoptables and unadoptables, to the breeders and
clubs, EVERYONE must band together and realize that even if we disagree, we
all have so far agreed on one thing: The situation that just occurred in
Michigan is intolerable, is unjust and needs to be corrected!  I know we can
overcome our differences and unite!

Is it so hard to put aside our past grievances and come together as a united
band of ferret people?  If it is, then to paraphrase a quote, "If we can not
remember the past, we are doomed to repeat it." Lets learn from what
happened in Michigan, and use it in the next case, because we all know there
will be a next time.  What scares me the most is that one of the factors
that swayed them toward kill and test was the fact that their were "ferrets
of unknown history" in his household - shelters, This means US.  I worry now
that even though my personal ferrets are current on their rabies, that just
because they are exposed to rescue ferrets, that this places them at risk.
I will continue on as before, though, because it is for the greater good to
expose the public to ferrets and dispel the notion that ferrets are mean,
vicious children eaters.

I am continuing the pressure on the Envirnmental health department here in
Va Beach, thru documentation from the CDC and other sources, to try and open
their minds to a quarantine policy.  Its my finger in the dyke, so to speak,
trying to stop the flow of water from the dam.  I hope that one day, ferrets
will be treated exactly like dogs and cats.  If the pressure is continued in
each county, or city, or township, or local government, there will be change!

Happy ferreting to all. . . . Kodo did not die in vain. . .

Lisa