From:
"J. Matthew Saunders" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 08:30:34 -0400
Dear Collective,

Kim writes:
>About ten years ago, there was an article in the Natural History
>magazine on weasels.  It talked about ... a weasel carrying off a full
>grown hare was akin to a terrier carrying off a full-grown sheep!  Weasel
>Schwarzenagger! ;)

<grin> I think Arnold would probably be tickled by that seeing as he's a
weasel enthusiast himself.  You know, when my sherlock was still a wee kit
of about 1/2 lb, I caught him dragging a mostly full 10 lb bag of oranges
under the couch.  He's also dragged hammers, other ferrets, barbells, and
encyclopedias (which speaks to William Killian' analogy:

>A species is wild and "uneducated".  If some representatives of that
>species are captured and through controlled breeding they are educated.
>At some point enough modification occurs and they are declared enough
>modifed or "educated" they are issued a diploma and "poof" they are
>graduated or domesticated.)

Now I know for sure that my kids are domesticated!   Drat, where did I
put that diploma..... <<grin>

Two issues ago a wonderful Weasel Shakespeare passage was printed:

>To dook or not to dook,that is the question.Whether tis nobler in the
>minds of ferts to make noise,and amuse thy human,or stay quiet and make
>them come hither anon,to see what thou art up to.
>
>To sleep,perchance to dook,ay there's the rub.For in that sleep of dead
>ferret,what humans may come and rub thy tummy to wake thee anon and get
>thee to dook again.

I think it would be fun to try this with all sorts of Will's works
including the sonnets!  Any takers?  If folks email me their creations,
I'll have a go at putting together a "Weasel Shakespeare" book as a PDF.
If you do decide to take part, please send the submissions to

I'm not sure how long I'll have the university account.

Cheers!

Matthew in VA soon to be CO.