From:
Lynn Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 22:10:48 -0400
>From: Lisa Goggins <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Ferrets & Waterbed Protection
>From: Lynn Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets & Waterbed Protection
>Regarding the above...give up the waterbed as they are very bad for the
>back anyhow and very dangerous for the weezils.

Lisa I very seldom answer directly to the FML but since you posted here I
will.

I am not sure what your concern is but I won't give up me waterbed.  My
ferrets are in no danger.  No more so than with a regular bed mattress
anyway.  Like betty was so kind to point out, they cannot get into it
from underneath so are not going to get squashed.

Thanks to Donna C, who reminded me about the cylinder type water beds, I
now have a new mattress.  Here is how it goes: You get a regular mattress
cover, sort of.  It unzips, you open it up.  You place these 4 foam rubber
rail type pieces on the inside, around the cover, they make a frame.  You
lay down a piece of plastic or rubber that is the liner.  This tucks in
over the foam rails.  Then you place in the cylinders & fill with water
to however firm you want.  You put down the cover & zip shut.  They are
going to have a heck of a time getting to these cylinders.  The top of the
mattress is thick so it will also take time to go that way.

But had I gone with a regular waterbed mattress my kids would be safe.
Like I said I don't know what your concern is.  To just say they are bad
for the back & very dangerous to the weezils without saying why is pretty
short.  Number one they are very good for the back which is why I have one.
The discs & bones in my back have deteriorated & are beyond fixing.  I am
considered disabled.  The only comfort I am able to get is when I lay down
on a water mattress.  I cannot sleep more than an hour on another kind &
wake up with intense pain & have to take extra pain pills, so have been
getting very little sleep, not to mention rest since March.  I also have
been on the crabby side with the extra pain & less sleep.  I refuse to be
tortured any longer.  If I had an idea that my furry kids would be more at
risk with a water bed mattress of any type than a regular one I would have
continued to suffer.

If the issue is that I might roll over on someone, I can put that fear to
rest.  I am a very light sleeper, the least thing will wake me up.  From
as far back as I can remember I have never rolled over in my sleep.  I
have had pets, mainly dogs, sleep with me since I was about 4 years old.
I always wake up & then turn over.  I am not a restless sleeper, once I
fall asleep I stay in that position until I wake up.  (aren't you all glad
to know this stuff?) I have slept with delicate, sick baby birds such as
Parakeets, Lovebirds & Cockatiels tucked in the hollow of my neck to give
them warmth & the comfort of my heart beat to help them pull through.  This
was of course before I had ferrets.  And the only 3 that are out of their
cage all night have no interest in sleeping with me at all.  They prefer
nest boxes, go figure.  Matter of fact none of the 17 care to snuggle up
next to me & sleep at any time.

And if that wasn't the issue then please tell me what is.  And unless you
have some kind of documented facts to back up your statement especially
about the "dangerous to weezils" part please email me directly & we can go
through everything that way.  I will be unavailable from Friday to at least
through Sunday so it will most likely be about mid week next week before I
can get back to you.

I am sure your concern has good intentions but you need to clarify.

Lynn & Clan War Weasels