From:
Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Dec 1997 10:51:29 -0800
>Although this has upset us all, it appears as though most (non-ferret)
>people aren't really concerned with the murder of eight ferrets.  I'd like
>to see the prosecutor in the case charge Lance with all 93 deaths...
>Plus, it has the advantage of revealing the true depth of his abusive
>treatment ... Most serial killers start out with the abuse of pets......

Craig and all FML's,

All of your input for prosecuting Lance is very much appreciated and I will
insure that the attorneys have all the information we can possibly give
them.  I know many people who do not own ferrets who are appalled at this
and are working with us to get Lance off the streets or lend their support
in other ways.  The Pot-bellied pig folks have, for one, been lending
support.  I think this attrocity crosses species.  You don't have to be a
ferret-lover to be angry.

When I spoke with the attorney on Tuesday, she told me that in the puppy
mill case she worked, autopsies were only available for a limited amount of
animals.  Based on photos and reports taken by police, she was able to get
the charges increased to the amount of animals involved - regardless of
autopsy results.

Guys, I'll tell you.  The attorney is good.  She's really sharp and she's
motivated.  And she's done this stuff before.

She also told me she will attempt to file an amicus brief on behalf of the
prosecution.  This was totally unexpected and above and beyond what we
thought she would do!  An amicus brief essentially means "friend of the
court" - although not all amicus briefs are welcomed by the court.
Essentially, it means that someone who has no standing (or ability to be a
party to the action) puts in their two cents.  She will be raising issues
to the court that should be considered in prosecuting Lance - such as
yesterdays comment about the value of the animals and the connection of
animal abuse to serial killers.

We also have a criminal lawyer (the interim lawyer) who be working pro bono
assisting the lead attorney with criminal issues and angles.  He can't be at
the arraignment due to a prior committment.

If you a specific angle or information you'd like the attorney to consider,
please email me privately.  I only skim the FML and may miss something if
it's in the middle of a post.  I'll do everything I can to make sure we
cover all our bases from the legal angle.

Also remember that their are many people working this issue - probably more
people than I know of.  The key players have been Chere McCoy, Scott, Jackie
Hawley, and Sam.  There are other Spokane residents who have gone to Jean's
house to assist her.  It's taken many people hundreds of hours and thousands
of dollars of their own money to pull this together.  Each person has
dropped into their own niche and filled it well.  I for one am thankful.

Thanks for your input.  Have you dropped Jean an "I'm thinking of you!"
card?  I'm sure she needs all the support she can muster.

    -Carla Almaraz