From:
Robynn McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 09:58:15 -0500
Just wanted to pop my two cents in about the indoor/outdoor ferret issue
because I think a couple of things have been misconstrued.  I don't find
it all surprising that people in Europe keep their ferrets in outdoor
enclosures, many of these are working ferrets and their owners take very
good care of them, and build them nice big play areas and warm hutches
and housing to protect them from the weather.  I also know, at least in
Britain, the climate is temperate and more prone to be overcast than
scorching hot.

I live in Raleigh, where the girl in the first post (whose father won't
let her keep the ferrets even in the garage), lives.  These ferrets aren't
living in a solid, insulated structure, these ferrets are living in a cage
with a tarp slung over it.  My biggest concern was that it was very very
hot here this summer, temps were over ninety (F) almost every day from
April to mid October, many days the heat index was over 100 degrees, not to
mention the severe humidity.  It was miserable to be outside.  Even in the
shade, that's much too hot for a ferret.  It's just beginning to sometimes
dip into the freezing temps at night here now, but my concern again would
be that the humidity has been 80% or better and the moisture will be
collecting heavily under that tarp and in the plastic carrier that is
probably not warm and dry and full of nice hay.

We all remember how most of us reacted to the ferrets that were kept in an
outside cage, and getting wet in the rain, and with a few small exceptions,
this situation isn't much different.  Not to mention that this girl's father
won't even let her keep her pets in the garage, because he thinks they smell
too much, which means there is something wrong with their diet or their cage
and bedding, or even the ferrets aren't being groomed properly.  There is
also a lot of native wildlife around here, not to mention dogs and cats
that could be running free that could pose a threat to ferrets in just a
wire cage.  Those were my concerns.  I realize that there are proper ways
in which ferrets can live outside, especially in temperate climates, very
happily, safe and warm with plenty of interaction with their families.
There is also no denying that European bred ferrets seem to be in better
general health, and have less cancer, than ferrets bred here in the US.
I'm sure we all wish we knew why that was, we all only want the best for
our ferrets as well.  Most of us here don't use our ferrets for rabbiting,
but they do earn their keep just by "weaseling" their way into our hearts
every day.

Robynn McCarthy
             Robynn McCarthy
          Write to the ferrets at: