From:
Patricia Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:12:47 -0800
Things were progressing nicely with the three boys. The big DEW Spooky
is learning to play and actually runs over to see people now when
they come in. He still grabs a little too hard sometimes but not
maliciously. He is amazed that his body moves in ways that it does and
loves playing with Sniffy the little DEW, who has no issues at all.
Just as sweet as can be.

Snags on the other hand.........This poor boy who has become so dear to
me has had quite the time. I came home from work 3wks ago to find him
blocked. A blocked ferret is a nightmare. I took him in to work and
had him unblocked, ran bloodwork and urine cultures. They came back
that he had an infection and some kidney damage and he was treated with
antibiotics and anti spasmodic drugs. We put him on a lower protein
food, ran a second set of tests two weeks later and while improved was
not 100%. Today would have been his last day of antibiotics. Yesterday
he blocked again, and again last night. He was unblocked both times.
This morning he went for an ultra-sound. This poor boy has a urachal
diverticulum which is like a pocket on the bladder. From this he has
kidney damage, stones and bladder ulcers. He had the stones and part
of his bladder removed today but is far from out of the woods. His
prognosis is guarded at best. I feel so badly for this boy. Because
this is a congenital defect and I doubt he was the only one in his
litter or of his lineage, please keep an eye on these ferrets for
signs of blockage, running in and out of the litter pan, or straining
to urinate. It is a life threatening emergency and needs immediate
veterinary attention.