From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Oct 1996 21:14:05 -0500
>From:    Larissa Stairs and Tabitha <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: starting a ferret club
I am interested in starting a ferret club in the Las Vegas are.  I would
appreciate any input from anyone on how to go about doing this HUGE project.

>From:    Peggy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Wanting to form Ferret Club

***

>From:    Yo land  Morris <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: wood
>I may of not made myself clear.  The ferret is teething on wood.

FERRETS ARE NOT RODENTS and do not teethe on wood or wood products.
Sometimes they may use cloth to teethe on (chewing blankets, hammocks,
etc.).

Get a copy of the Ferret FAQ off the listserver or WWW and take it to that
pet shop.

***

>When she was an infant, a ferret climbed into her crib and attacked her.
>When her parents responded to her a screams they found the bloody ferret
>standing on top of their bloody faced infant repeatedly biting at the child.

>My boss at work doesn't like ferrets.  Reason: he use to work for a guy
>that had one that was allowed to bite feet.  Not only his owner's, but
>anyone's that he chose.  Results, Steve thinks all ferrets bite.

This is an excellent argument, not against ferrets as pets, but for parental
and pet ownership neglect.  If you want to adopt a child or pet, one has to
go through all sorts of interviews and questionnaires - but to create your
own child or buy a pet from a store - there are no guidelines to see if you
are good parent material or pet ownership material.

Why don't we teach about raising children and animals in our public schools?

***

>but I'm German and Sagittarius so I'm told I will have a very NASTY temper.

Well, I stem from German ancestors and am Sagittarian and, with maybe the
exception of my soon to be ex-husband, people don't think that I have a
nasty temper.

I would prefer that you re-read your responses a day after writing them so
you can temper your language.  The child really did loose her nose due to
neglect of the parents in properly training a ferret.

***

Vaccine reactions

In my experiences (over 1500 ferrets vaccinated by myself against distemper
and my own pets receiving rabies via the clinics)...

If a ferret has a reaction to a vaccine - I never use THAT vaccine again.
If the ferret reacts to FERVAC, then the next time I use GALAXY D.  If a
ferret reacts to IMRAB, then I never vaccinate against rabies again for that
ferret.  I do have a sprite allergic to IMRAB, and she is now over 7 years
of age.  Jessica reacted the first time to IMRAB when she was 4 years old,
and more strongly to the vaccination when she received it again at 5 years
of age.  No more rabies shots.  I noted no reaction to the shot when she was
3 years old, but it might have been really mild then....

***

>From:    "Blanca A. Martinez" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ollie's Diagnosis

I hope your ferret recovers from meningitis - I have had one experience with
it and the ferret passed away.  Sure looks like insulinoma but does NOT
respond to glucose.

Pam Grant