Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 1995 03:02:00 -0600
FERRETS CRAP AND SQUIRRELS SCAT!  I'd love to see that headline.  To answer
the question, I don't think so, but I don't have a reference to back up the
opinion.  The reason I doubt it is because ferrets (or rather their wild
kin) coevolved with different prey species than the squirels made in the
USA.  The prey just doesn't recognize the predator, which is partial reason
for the deadly success of imported predators in island ecosystems.  There
are some references that claim ferret scat will drive away rats and mice,
but I suspect they are talking about the imported Old World species of Mus
musculus and Rattus rattus/norvegicus.  Every book I've read on ferreting
indicates the smell scares European rabbits.  I know the smell of ferret
used to drive Satan, the family lop bunny (domestic form of the European
bunny), absolutely bonkers; but once he learned he was not lunch, he got
along fine with them.  Well, he would chase them.

If anything, the secret ingredent is not actually the scat, but rather the
scent from the anal glands.  Our domestic ferret may be somewhat gregarious,
but their ancestors were certainly not.  The stinky from the anal gland can
be used as defense, but it is also used as a signpost, saying to other
polecats, "This is my spot and my land and keep away or I will fight you!"
The good news is because of this, we can get the beasties to dump on litter.
The bad news is they want to outline their territory with poopie.  (EVERY
corner of the room?)

Also, while the poopinators may be gregarious, they are also a slave to
instinct, so the introduction of new ferrets MAY (not always.  Sometimes it
can be cause by new people, furniture, or surroundings) cause a "poop war,"
where one or more poopmeister seems to forget where the box is, even though
they are right beside it.  They want "thiers" to be distinct from the
others, and it does not matter if we know the anal glands are visiting the
reproductive organs in body-part heaven, they don't, so 'Party On, Dude'
becomes 'This is MY PLACE!' (Bet the worst offenders are the alpha males.
Most of my oopsies come during dominance disagreements between the big
guys.)

This is common behavior in most carnivores (most, like the dog, have anal
glands.), especially those leading a solitary and/or territorial existence.
I have tracked the territory of coyotes by following the little piles of
poop, and seen distinct and separate piles (from distinct and separate
coyotes) at the border of two different territories.  I have seen similar
piles from mink and fox.  Urine is also used to mark territory, but is not
as permanent.  Besides, many carnivores, including mustelids, use urine as a
sexual come-on, and will pee on themselves or their prospective partner to
help make woopie.

Not to start a descenting war, but while the act of descenting a ferret may
not effect ITS smell, it does make a difference in the smell of the poopie.
I have both varieties, scented and descented, and I can tell exactly who
misses the box.  Its as clear as the nose on the front of my face....

So....IF the poopie COULD work, it would have to be from a "scented" ferret,
rather than the descented kind; otherwise, (sorry, I have to say it) its
just BS.

On another note, this is my recipe for FERRET JERKY. Take one Jerk and
cut off his......

Sorry.  I use a lean brisket and slice it into thin strips, removing all fat
in the process.  I soak the cut meat in water containing ferretone (about 1
tablespoon per liter) and smoke flavoring.  I then spread out the meat on
drying trays, spray with lemon juice, and dry in the dehydrator.  (I also
use the oven set at 150 degrees F with the door propped open when someone
else is using the dehydrator, the scum!).  The ferretone adds flavor (the
drying process may distroy the vitamins; don't know) as does the liquid
smoke.  The lemon juice acts as an anti-oxidant for whatever fats that are
left behind.  When dry, I cut the jerky with scissors into strips about 1/4
inch wide and 1 inch long.  I give each beastie two strips a day.  Its a
hoot to see the furred-snakes with their noses working the air when the lid
to the jerky tin is opened.

I use the same recipe with chicken, turkey, and trout.  All work well, and
are equally loved.  BTW, I make my own raisins and other dried treats
because a common method of insuring that fruit doesn't grow mold is to treat
it with a fungicide; sulphur is common.  As you know, I have to take care of
my own food-tube, and the fungicides make me gassy.  While the added
thingies are no-doubt safe for human and ferret consumption (no can-o-worms,
please!), I like the fresh and untreated stuff better, as does my delicate
GI tract.  Its cheaper, you can make anything you want, and it makes the
house smell real good (unless you're drying fish....).

Will scat for now; don't want to be a jerk...

BoB
Moose, Stella, Daye, Tori, Bear, Apollo, Buddy, Foster, and Razz.
Foster says, "I don't know what those black strips are, but I want
some....can you wait while I poop next to the litter box? Got anymore
peanut butter?  What about that dried pineapple? Sunflower seed paste?...."