From:
Lisa Kaliski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 14:58:08 -0600
A friend of mine encouraged me to post about my dear ferret friend,
Avery, who recently passed away.  He was in my life for 3 1/2 years but
he had a very profound effect on me.  Avery helped me through a very dark
time in my life, he gave me a reason to get up in the morning and he
gave me hope.  Along with Avery came Dancer who sadly passed away only
4 months after my husband and I brought them home of juvenile lymphoma.
After Dancer's passing, Bear came into our lives.  It was just Avery and
Bear for 2 years before Erin increased our number to 3 and a few months
later, Carlin made it four.  We had a few foster ferrets pass through our
home but in April of last year,5 more ferrets--a family group--entered
our home and have never left.  We officially adopted them in January.
Now, the number is up to 9.  Over 6 months ago, 3 foster ferts entered
our home and probably will never leave due to health issues.  Okay, we
are at 12.  Lucy Lu entered our lives in November, bald but beautiful.
She, too, is with us forever and lucky 13--and now has fur everywhere
but on the top of her head :-)

If it weren't for Avery, none of our current ferret family would be here.
I started volunteering for a ferret rescue to give back to Avery's fellow
ferret friends what he gave me, hope!!  When he died, I felt as if my
inspiration to help ferrets died with him.  But, with 12 remaining
ferrets needing my love and care, I was inspired again, remembering
what Avery did for me.  I was reminded that if it weren't for Avery and
Dancer, my 12 would not be with me.  Who knows what their fate would
have been.

So, hug your furbabies close and thank them for what they have given
you.  I miss my Avery but his spirit will always be in my heart and my
inspiration to help others.

Thank you for letting me share with you.

LISA