From:
Susan Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 14:24:23 MST
Ours is a pretty simple reason why our ferrets have *odd* names.  I have
been a major fan of Greek Mythology since 1977, and my husband is fasinated
by it as well.  Also, well... we both have bizarre senses of humor, take
all of this into consideration, we are of course, big fans of the Xena and
Hercules shows.

I had ferrets in Florida for many years but then in 1995 we moved to Tulsa
where ferrets were illegal so I had to give them up, in 1997 the city made
ferrets legal and I quickly started searching for a breeder.  We ended up
choosing a pair of males, a cinnamon who was *my* baby and a chocolate who
was *his* baby.

The cinnamon is a trickster with a mischeivous but charming attitude, the
chocolate a joker, clown, a little bit of a klutz but adorable.  Bryan
wanted to name them Autolycus and Joxer, after his favorite charachters on
the shows... my first response was "I am NOT naming my ferret after The
King Of Thieves.... OH NO!  Wait!!  It Fits!!!" A ferret IS a great thief
after all!!  So, that became their names... nicknamed Toly and Joxer

Somehow, when we decided to get more, I got this bright idea it would be a
cool idea to name all our fuzzies from Greek mythology and keep a theme
going.  But I was also picky that the name had to match the fuzzy, be it
his looks, or personality or attitude or what have you... so the
namefinding has been a lot of fun over the past 3 years.  The only name we
*took* from the TV shows that is not found in true Greek Myth is Joxer, but
we let that one slide because there honestly is no other name for this
ferret... he IS a Joxer.  *Hehehehe*

Good examples of the names fitting is Ares (The God Of War), who is my big
black DemiGigas bloodline boy, who looks like a biker ferret and is a
classic Bully Boy.  And Queen Cassiopeia (a beautiful but vain queen) who
is a true Princess who knows she is special and beutiful and demands to be
treated accordingly.

Susan, Bryan and the Greek Hordes

Autolycus, Joxer, Apollo, Ares, Orion, Adonis, Phineus, Queen Cassiopiea,
Chaos, Eileithyia, Athena, Momus, Selene, Nyx & Danae
And In Loving Memory To: Eris, Callidora and Aphrodite.