From:
"Ann D. Phillips" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 12:32:57 -0400
We are starting with Petco for a few different reasons.  The House Rabbit
Society was able to successfuly able to appeal to Petco to stop the sales
of rabbits.  Petco, on its own, has also stopped selling iguanas (not an
easy animal to keep healthy for the unprepared!).  Petco is also a public
company.  They may be more responsive to issues regarding animal welfare
because of the direct reflection onto stock prices.

Petco also seems fairly coopertive with local shelter organizations
regarding education and adoption days for dogs and cats.  This could
present a really good opportunity to educate the public and possibly place
some of these ferrets that are in the shelters.

The only way this will occur is if we all write into Petco and ask them to
stop.  I'm appealing to you because I know we can work together, we did in
the past for Kodo.  Even though Kodo was lost, there were great strides
made to protect our personal pets from unfair treatment by archaic policies
regarding rabies.

The ferrets you may be keeping out of the shelters may not be your own -
but those ferrets deserve good homes too.

Originally I was asking people to e-mail me for the template and addresses.
I've posted the information here, but would really like to hear from people
who have followed through with an letter.

Thanks!

Ann

Here is the template and officer names and corporate addresses.  I'm
writing to each individual on the list.

I am a ferret lover writing to you regarding my concerns about the sale of
ferrets as small pets by the Petco Corporation.

Ferrets are wonderful companions and terrific pets, but often purchasers are
not aware of the challenges and complexity of this animal before they bring
it home.  After the ferret owner finds they are unable to cope with this
curious and active pet, the ferret becomes simply, unwanted..

The options are fairly limited for most unwanted ferrets.  Many are
sentenced to death by release into the outdoors.  Survival for a ferret
exposed to the elements, a domesticated animal entirely imprinted on
prepared foods, is about 2 to 3 days.  Often the ferret becomes a permanent
inhabitant of it s cage to die a slow death of neglect from lack of proper
health care or correct diet.  A lucky number end up in over burdened
private shelters across the US, hoping for new homes.

Currently these shelters are overwhelmed with ferrets that need homes with
new ones arriving almost daily.

Would you please consider discontinuing the sales of ferrets at Petco
stores?  Many ferret clubs are more then eager to become involved with
Petco to hold adoption and education days - a win/win situation for both
Petco and homeless ferrets everywhere.

Here are the names and titles for the executives, as well as the address
for Petco's main office.

Brian K Devine
Chairman, President and CEO

Larry D. Asselin
Senior Vice President

Richard C. St. Peter
Executive Vice President, CFO and Secretary

William M. Woodard
Senior Vice President

James M. Myers
Senior Vice President, Finance and CAO