From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2007 13:03:28 -0400
Shirley wrote:
>Sukie, In Australia and the UK, at least, Bachelor of Veterinary
>Science (BVSc) is exactly the same as DVM and those people who hold it
>are certainly referred to as "Doctor". They do the same 5 or 6 years
>at uni but the course simply has a different name.

Shirley, a bachelors degree is NOT AT ALL the same as a doctorate, it
is the first step of moving toward trying to qualify to do later work
to get a doctorate. It's like learning to walk well compared to running
an Olympics marathon. (My hubby who has a doctorate in high energy
physics just walked in so I read that note to him, He dramatically
sighed. Placed his hand on his heart. Shook his head, and lamented,
"Well, I certainly wasted a lot of time..." it was hilarious! Yes, he
respects (and loves) people with bachelors (and without) -- I have a
bachelors and some grad credits though my post grad education options
were truncated by health problems, and his mom had secretarial school
after high school, plus one of my uncles left school at 14 to support
his mother and sister but succeeded in the stock exchange by working
his way up).

While there are very rare exceptions, people with doctorates typically
have first a bachelors (4 or 5 years usually), a masters (or the
equivalent recognition if in a doctoral program -- typically 1 or 2
years), and then further years spent getting a doctorate. A total of 9
to 10 years of education is the norm, but it can be longer, and for a
few rare things it can be shorter.

BTW, there ARE also vets in Australia, Britain and elsewhere who HAVE
done full doctorates in veterinary med and thus learned a great deal
more (unless they were twiddling their thumbs for the additional years
which I highly doubt), unlike the one to whom I referred who does not
have a doctorate and therefore should not be called "Doctor" but should
be called "Mister".

In the U.S. many of the people who do bachelors in vet med are
veterinary technicians, a discipline I hold in high regard, and I often
learn things hands on from the ones at the hospital we use, but I can
assure you that unless those techs had done further degrees in the
field (just as there are those who have earned doctorates in nursing
who often do very specialized nursing or teach in universities) and
have qualified for a doctorate they would NOT pass themselves off as
"doctor". It's just tacky and false advertising to do so -- the kind of
false advertising which makes a person want to check other claims more
closely if from the same person.

Shirley also wrote:
>I suspect you are referring to Dr Billinghurst and the "barf" diet.
>Personally, I don't agree with his ideals and believe he has sold out
>on his initial thoughts to earn money.

No, that was not who I meant. The person I meant is also widely quoted,
though, and is not among the pair later in this message. Honestly, I
think people should be doing their own checking so I'm not saying who
it is right now because I would like folks to themselves check the
people they quote and will be away for a protracted time beginning the
same day you read this. There is whole LOT to be learned when going
through people's own CVs on their sites!

Here is some general useful info for checking multiple types of