From:
Kathy Baltz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 19:53:16 -0400
Hi, everyone!
I've posted a couple of times, but haven't really had a chance to introduce
myself (or my babies!).

My name is Kathy, and I live in Herndon, VA with my fiancee and my 5
fuzzbutts.  I work for Petco (one of those awful stores that carries
ferrets) as a Lead Associate.

My first ferret, Tigger, came from Petco before I started working there.
She is about 8 months old now, and a dark champagne or light chocolate
standard.

Then came Bandit, who was paired with Maggie (in a tiny cage and abused by
their previous people), but my best friend and I unwittingly split up...I
had Bandit, she had Maggie across the hall in our apartment building.  Well,
Bandit and Maggie became deathly ill (per the vet), and Kev and I
re-inherited Maggie so the two could (hopefully) convalesce in each other's
company.  Bandit is now almost 3 pounds and HUGE, and Maggie keeps him in
line, although she is extremely petite, weighing in at about 5/8 of a pound
at the vet, where she got her clean bill of health.  Both are chocolate
standards.  Nothing standard about them, though!

The last two are the brother and sister team (really...same litter and
everything) of Popeye and SweetPea, respectively.  They are approximately
two years old, and we adopted them from a family who couldn't keep
them...nasty landlord!  Popeye is a chocolate standard (another big guy, at
2 1/2 lbs.), and SweetPea is albino, and about 1 1/2 lbs.

I am considering "de-caging" them.  Right now, we have a spare room that is
for all purposes theirs.  They play for at least an hour outside of their
cages, both of which are about 45" long, 24" deep, and two story.  Right now
I am planning on getting the Midwest Ferret Playpens (2) for Christmas, but
I would appreciate any insight on letting them romp.  Should I get the cages
so that they have a quiet place to hide out?  They know how to use the
litter box outside of the cage, since we have one in their room, but what
should I do to ferret-proof the rest of the house?  Yes, we too have a
recliner.

Please email me at [log in to unmask] with any insight!

Thanks!
Kat, Kev, Tigg, Band-o, Magpie, Pops, and Sweepee