From:
Catherine Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 21:29:09 EDT
Christine,

This is a copy of the email I sent you personally.  I'm posting it for
others that may be interested.  I've gone through the check point with
ferrets twice and had no problem at all.  "Got any fruits or vegetables?"
and "Here's a map" is all I ever had to deal with at the check point
through Needle.  I f you are going to LA then that is the check point you
would use for Southern California, I15.

Here's the deal though!  You never ever know what may happen!  All it takes
is one search!  I came through the check point in a moving van with out of
state plates and had no problem.  A friend of mine came through the exact
same point 6 months prior in a moving van and was completely searched!
They went through here coolers, made her open up the back of the truck, and
looked through her cat carriers.  Now, she did not have ferrets, but what
if?  You never know.  These instructions I'm posting are the best I believe
because you do not even encounter a check point at all!

As written:

You go through Needles, CA on I15.  The check point is actually 40 miles
into the state.  Before you actually go through Needles, there will be an
exit to Highway 40.  Its the Newberry Springs exit.  You will be on
Minneola Road .  You take that, its 2 lanes and kind of winds, you'll be
able to get back on I15 around Barstow.  The I15 and 40 intersect there.

DON'T speed or anything!!  This is the ONLY way off of Interstate 15 to LA
that allows you to not even encounter a check point!  Look at a detailed
map and you will see the route I am describing.

Good Luck
Catherine