From:
"Devore, Deborah N Ms NISA-DC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 14:38:22 -0400
In Thursday's FML Judy posted about the first check being received for the
ADV Fund.  I wanted to clarify that what she was referring to was the fund
specifically for the U of GA research group, and not the general ADV Fund.
The ADV Fund that is part of the Pamela Slack Memorial Research Fund
received the first contributions for ADV research over 6 months ago.

Giving to either fund is good, and will help in the fight against ADV.
The difference is that by giving directly to the U of GA you are giving
to their group only, and they can use the money as they see fit.  I am
not saying it won't go to ADV research, because I know that this group is
dedicated to finding answers to the ADV problem.  But there is no review
committee to oversee how the money is used.

The Pamela Slack Memorial Research Fund has a review committee that will
be looking at proposals from different researchers, and determining which
group has the best chance at using the money in the most beneficial way.
So far, we have 4 proposals, one of which is from the U of GA group.  We
may be receiving a 5th, and Dr. Williams has indicated he may be applying
for funds also.

People wanting to learn more about the Pamela Slack Memorial Research Fund
can visit the following website:
     http://www.ferret.org/memorialfund.htm

People wanting to donate can do so using PayPal at the website, or there is
a printable form that can be mailed in with the donation.  If every person
on the FML gave just $20.00 to this fund, we would have enough to fund more
then one project for a year.  Of course, if people gave more, we would be
able to do even more.  I have not read the proposals, but I have spoken
with several of the researchers, and they all have some excellent ideas
on how to combat this disease, and also about how to develop a vaccine.

I would strongly urge everyone that has ferrets to consider making a
donation to one of the funds.  Which one you choose is up to you.

Danee DeVore