From:
Beth Stoker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 13:41:13 -0600
Ok I know most of us have moved past this discussion but in Edward's last
post he expressed some concern (still) about how this bug may affect him
and his ferrets.  So I figured I'd contribute to this one.

Luckily, this will be happening in January.  Better for the ferrets -
they can handle the cold much better than they can the heat - and they are
ways to keep warm without electricity or gas.  Fireplaces are wonderful.
If you are concerned about whether you will experience a problem with this
bug causing power outages - plan for it....

- Call your power company and ask them what they are doing to be year 2000
  compliant.
- Call the hospitals and ask them what they are doing.
- Put pressure on companies that aren't doing anything.
- Look at alternative companies that are compliant.
- Buy firewood.
- Buy a propane stove and some propane.
- Get a large cooler that you could keep out in the snow to refrigerate
  food.
- Stock up on food supplies that have a long shelf life (do it now before
  retailers take advantage of panic and jack up the prices).
- Save your milk cartons and put water in them.
- Buy candles.
- Have warm blankets.

Come on folks - ferrets were around a long time before computers and
electricity.  If you plan you can manage a worst case scenario.  Sure, it
won't be comfortable and convenient but we can do it.

Beth, Minerva & Frumpstiggle the marsh wiggle (they aren't mad at me any
more :) )
of Denver, CO