From:
"Helen M. Wojciechowski" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2005 16:21:17 EDT
>From:     Florence Love <[log in to unmask]>
>
>There is a Shelter Mom in Alabama that is  single and has been doing it
>all on her own lately and she is running out of  steam, money and pure
>will power.  I've seen all the good things that having volunteers can do
>for a shelter... it can keep the Shelter Mom going when everything looks
>hopeless.

Hi There,

Boy do I sympathize with Sandi.  I know just how she feels.  I live in
New Castle, Pa. and I am on my own too.  I get very little donations,
they are few and far between so I work at a dry cleaners to keep us
going.

I have 16 cages to clean daily and feed.  Plus I have 8 six kids that
need soup and meds 3 X's a day.  It sure isn't easy when you come home
tired and have to clean cages and get the kids out to play.  Don't get me
wrong I love what I do or I would never have started a shelter but like
Sandi somedays I feel so weary and would love to just once in awhile have
some voulenteers come and help me especially when I have ears and nails
to do and change bedding which I do weekly.

I wish I could help by sending her a donation but my shelter is broke
too.  I am trying to save my pay checks to take a couple ferrets in that
I know are going to eventually need surgery.

I will keep her and her shelter in my prayers that help will come along.
That is what keeps me going at age 65 and 1/2 I would love to stop
working or at least not work so hard but I can't the kids need so much.
I don't even have a decent fund raiser.

The people in New Castle, just don't donate and they won't volunteer
either so it really makes it hard.  I know there are ferret people here
but I just can't seem to find them and I know they know I am here because
we had a big article in the New Castle News on the front page when we
first started.  I even did posters and put them around hoping to get
some help or at least some donations but so far not a thing.

So I do understand what she is going through and if anyone is out there
and they can help her please do.  Unless you run a shelter you have no
idea how much work there is and how much of our own money we put in to
doing it.

Before I had my shelter I use to go to PFRA and help Tara when she needed
help and it was almost a 2 hour trip for me one way.  I went as often as
I could and always when she needed someone to come when they had to go to
the shows.

Thank You for your time; I know this was long but I am hoping that by
reading what I go through, those of you in her area will have some
comapssion on Sandi and help her please, please, please do it.  It is
such a rewarding feeling just to know you helped to make a little ferret
clean and comfortable.  I know it did me when I use to voulenteer.  It
still does when I get all done and can sit and relax and play with them.
They don't ask for much just a clean cage, good food and some of your
time to play with them.  The kisses they give and the love they give in
return makes it all worth while.

The letter that was written on her behalf by Florence sounds so much like
my shelter and how it is run.  I only wish I could help her or at least
send her a donation but right now I can't so the best I can do for her is
Pray that God will open up the windows of Heaven and pour her out a
blessing that she cannot contain.

God Bless You All

Helen
Helping Hands Ferret Rescue