From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 05:01:01 -0500
Greg Hindley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Why do Ferrets have so many health problems?

Hi Greg!  That is a great question and those newbees on the list must be
thinking it from time to time as well.  The fact it, ferrets have no more
medical problems than most other pets, and probably less than some.  I have
found them to be sturdy and resistent and bounce back from minor problems
quite rapidly.  The problem is you are getting your impression from the
FML, which is a very biased sample.

FML postings seem to be of several basic types; those from people who just
like to argue and nitpick (but seem to have some educational value by a
complete discussion of the issues), those from people who just like to hear
themselves over the ether (like me), those who just love ferrets and enjoy
talking about them, those relating to rescues, and those who need help.
The help posts tend to stand out because of their very emotional nature,
expecially those of very sick or dying ferrets.  Since a very large reason
this list is so popular compared to other lists is because of its
"fellowship" nature, people tend to air their problems a bit more readily
than in some other lists.  That creates a "medical" bias, but in no way
reflects the actuality that ferrets are quite healthy animals.

I've lost three ferrets in the last month or so, and I have a key ring full
of rabies tags from ferrets I have lost in the past (I put my late pet's
rabies tag on my keyring as a sort of memorial).  But I own--and have
owned--a lot of ferrets, with many of them from shelters.  I expect you
will hear me mention more deaths in the near future, because my current
group is polarized into 2 subgroups; one with an average age of about 2-3
years, the other, larger group averaging about 6-7 years.  I will probably
lose 2-3 ferrets a year until that older group is gone.  You simply cannot
outrun time; even if you are a speedy ferret.

The point here is that ferrets don't have a particularly long life span and
8 years is a good life.  As with any species, at the tag end of long life
comes species-common aliments, which in our case tend to be insulinomas,
adrenal disease, cancers and heart problems.  So good people who care
deeply for their little fellas post their concerns at a rate much higher
than proportional to the rest of the list's membership.  It creates a false
sense of reality that should be ignored.

The second thing is the number of goodbyes (or crossing the rainbow bridge)
that is seen on the FML.  Again, it is abnormally high because of the
nature of the FML.  For example, I have mentioned 3 ferrets have died
this year, which sounds high, but you forget I have 16 other ferrets that
haven't died, are quite healthy, and ripping up my room.  In fact, my
ferrets are so healthy that when the 'flu hit the house (a guest who
attended Gloria's wedding brought it in), none of my ferrets had to see
the vet, all kept themselves hydrated, and all got through it just fine,
although the coughing and runny noses worried me a little, and the nasty
marks on my carpet irritated me more.  Every see a ferert vomit?  Not a
pretty sight, although it is mildly amusing to watch them try to find a
spot that is "just right" to toss the technicolor cat.

Finally, remember the ferret's life is compressed into a decade; about half
the lifespan of a cat or dog.  If you took the same number of illnesses
from a dog and compressed them into 8-10 years, I think you would see they
are sick proportionally as often as ferrets.  Maybe more.  As for the vet
bills, mine average $200 a month, but I have a really great vet (but not
nearly as good as the vet doctors who post on this list because they see
far fewer ferrets, but that is changing).  My "vet" is a husband-wife team
who work together well and are very conservative in their medical responses
(although very aggressive when they need to be).  After 5 years of seeing
them almost monthly, I have a very good relationship with them.  I get some
good discounts, but I also pay them on time, never quibble about costs
(they are more than fair), and have them give rabies and distemper shots.
I regularly photocopy new info on ferret disease and drop it off to them.
I also buy nutrical and food from them to help support their office costs,
even though I can save a few bucks getting from a local chain pet shop.  I
have found a lot less vets drive their BMWs to the links compared to MDs,
and in most cases, vets only charge what they have to to make a living.
MOST vets earn less of a paycheck than a NYC garbage man.  I realize vet
bills can be substantial in some cases, but if you knew how much it costs
to run a vet clinic, pay the staff and buy supplies (including very
expensive diagnostic equipment), they actually don't charge an
unreasonalble amount.  Most vets I've met lose a great deal of money
offering low cost proceedures, treating unowned pets, or "forgetting" to
bill some patients for their services.  Almost every shelter on the FML
has a vet or two that either donates time to their shelter, or only charges
a very minimum amount.  You can do what I do, which is to dedicate a
credit card to nothing but vet use.  Unfortunately, vet costs are part of
the reality of pet ownership, and you are mistaken if you think ferrets
vet costs are more than any other species of pet.

Anyway, the bottom line is ferrets are not sicker or do not cost more than
any other pet; it just seems that way because you are getting your info
from FML postings; a very biased source of data.  I hope this sets your
mind at ease.  If not, I recommend a couple of Fat Weasel Ales.

Bob C and 16 Mo' Healthy Little FurButts