From:
Kaye FitzGerald-Gorham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 18:50:12 +0000
>Ferrets absolutely need to be kept indoors.  Being outdoors makes them more
>prone to contracting disease from wild animals who might be investigating
>their cage.  They also might freeze to death.  They are pretty small
>animals who can lose body heat very quickly, stop eating and starve to
>death.  Outdoor animals tend not to get the proper attention that they
>deserve.

I cannot believe you have said this...............my ferrets live outside
and are completely pampered.  They have their sleeping hutch cleaned out
every morning ( even if I get pissed wet through while doing it!) and they
either get a run around the garden or a walk on their leads every morning,
then they get put in their clean daytime run with raisins hidden carefully
in their tubes and hidey holes, clean drinking water and food and a huge
sack full of hay to burrow into when they're sleepy.  They stay in there
till their tea time when they get a quick run around with the kids and dogs
before being put back into their night-time hutch with their food ( raw
chicken wings normally!) and where their sleeping compartment is stuffed
full of hay which keeps them as warm as toast.  I don't know if you are
aware of it but you can actually cook in a hay oven so maybe that'll give
you an idea of how warm it can get.  If it's extra cold they get additional
sacks or bubble wrap on the outside of their hutch.  Touch wood, they
have never had a day's illness in their lives..............they are huge
beautiful boys with gorgeous thick sable coats.They have both won awards at
local shows ( 1st, 2nd and Best Overall hob) and earn their keep by going
out rabbiting when we can, with our lurchers, and are fed almost completely
on raw food.

Does that sound neglected?

I know Jane's ferrets are pampered pets too and she dotes on them.  How can
you make such an irresponsible and hurtful sweeping statement?

I think if you did a poll of ferrets in the UK you would find
overwhelmingly that most are kept outside and live to a ripe old age ( we
have far less incidents of the diseases that seem prevalent in the US).  I
would be interested to know where you found the facts on which you base
your remarks.

K.
( the apparently cruel and uncaring one!)