From:
Kimberly Sharp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 20:21:08 -0400
OK, I have another question that's been asked hundreds of times!!  I
already searched through the FML archives and still haven't found anything
that I haven't already tried.  Here's the story and question...

A few months ago I took a pair of ferrets into the shelter.  Hobbie is
a cinnamon male and is a sweetheart!  Then there's Opal....the albino
female.  When I let her out for playtime, she'll come up to me like she
wants attention so I'll start trying to pet/play with her.  After about 30
seconds or so, she'll bite either the back of my hand or the area between
my thumb and pointer finger.  She KNOWS where it hurts the worst!!  I've
tried nose flicking, scruffing, a loud NO, and just letting her chew on me.
She starts out nipping and continues to bite harder until she's latched on
and shaking her head back and forth like she's trying to kill my hand.  At
this point I have to scruff her and put her far away from me until I cool
down and stop bleeding.  A few days ago someone posted about their method
of using gloves for bite training.  I bought suede gloves as my only choice
was suede or leather.  The problem with this is that the ferrets like the
way the gloves taste and even the good ferrets are biting me now!  After
about ten minutes of wearing the gloves, Opal figured out where the less
protected spots are (the backs of my fingers and hand) and started biting
me there.  Does anyone have any suggestions for Opal?!?  I'm out of ideas!
Thanks to anyone who responds in advance!!!  Kim Sharp NRV Exotic Animal
Rescue/Shelter http://www.geocities.com/nrvexotics/

Check out my Ebay auctions!
[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&[log in to unmask]