From:
Ferrets at Heart -- Ask A Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2012 18:30:31 -0400
I plead "insanity". Actually, I plead a need for sleep and a bit less
caffeine. Ferrets at Heart has six new permanent residents as of
Sunday. New kids means "And the PayPal account only says we have that!"

Here's our idea, and this isn't on the website yet. We have new ferrets
that we are learning each day as we go along. This is an experience,
especially six at once. So, how about sponsoring one of these six or
one of our other four we already had? That's ten permanent residents.
We can send you a picture and email updates as often as you prefer.
Actually, We're looking forward to having cyber moms or dads for our
furkids, more people like us, who are interested in their welfare and
happiness.

Lady Wendy and Mr. Nibbs

This pair is five to six-years-old, and they generally accept other
ferrets. Lady Wendy is blind, and her weight drops drastically when
she is stressed (as if she isn't itsy-bitsy enough already!). The
fragile-seeming Mr. Nibbs received a Deslorelin implant to combat his
adrenal tumor in February. His fur is still quite patchy, revealing
bare skin in many areas. These are not generally expected to be a bite
risk to people. Lady Wendy and Mr. Nibbs are becoming acquainted with
Mandie and Winter (Lady Wendy is hissing Mandie into easy submission
to our utter shock.). The new pair should be cagemates with Mandie and
Winter by the end of this week.

Chester

A super-fluffy gentle soul, Chester is an old man at seven-years-old.
His vision is quite impaired, but his only other health concern is his
tooth decay. With dumbo ears and the largest nose I've ever encountered
on a ferret, this slim long fellow makes an striking lap-warmer (where
he appears to want to stay). Chester is stressing over his relocation.
He is eating and drinking well, but he does not want to leave his cage.
He needs time to adjust. Chester is friends with Lady Wendy and Nibbs,
so hopefully he too can be added in with Mandie and Winter eventually.
Chester does nip people when too stressed, but not with intent to harm.

Viva (Now "Diva")

I was warned to treat this four-year-old with caution and respect. She
bites and is territorial regarding her cage. I was to speak to her
before opening the cage door and reaching in. This adrenal gal thinks
I'm her personal chew toy! She received her Deslorelin implant in
February, but somebody needs to tell her hormones that. She sniffs my
hand all over for just the right place to chomp. Repeat. And again.
Make a fist? She then goes for the wrist, arm, or leg. Socks saved my
feet from persecution for some off reason. Oh, and Diva hates other
ferrets too. Maybe I won't be as appetizing tomorrow.

Bugsie and Casper

If you guessed that Casper is an albino, you get. a pat on the back
for predicting that obvious name-to-face. These two are four to
five-years-old. Bugsie is actually a female, and she needs a Deslorelin
implant to fight against her adrenal tumor. She exhibits just a bit of
fur loss at the base of her tail, but her nipples and vulvae are
swollen. Casper is rather large. He is long, wide, and only at his
summer weight! Casper is aggressive toward other ferrets, but that
could be due to his recent upheavals (Two moves in one week). So far,
they don't think I'm snack food.

The delivery of the new babies was rather eventful. Mr. Nibbs has his
ticket to the Rainbow Bridge stamped and ready-to-go. Crystal took him
out of the carrier, and Mr. Nibbs wouldn't open his eyes or give any
motor response. He had heat stroke. Thirty minutes later, Mr. Nibbs
could open his eyes, thanks to cold water and honey on his gums. It
took longer for him to lift his head. There was green diarrhea. I was
up all night monitoring his condition, but at least he was able to
stand up before his former keeper had to leave. Today, Mr. Nibbs shows
no sign of the scare he put us through yesterday and is behaving like
a perfectly normal ferret at his home.

Winter

Born on the winter solstice, Winter is a known quantity. He had
an adrenal surgery just before his third birthday last year.
Unfortunately, Winter's surgery wasn't successful, because the tumor
had spread too far already. Still, our Winter is a cuddly puffball,
and his disposition is very agreeable with his Deslorelin implant and
oral melatonin.

Mandie

Our Champaign darling started showing signs of adrenal just after her
first birthday. Thankfully, Mandie's operation was a shining success,
and we are at its first anniversary! This upcoming Halloween will be
her third birthday. We are realistic and know that her tumor will
reappear eventually, but we cheer for her now as she romps with Winter.

Holly

Our grumpy DMK can still poof her scent glands, and at 7.5-years-old,
she will if she feels you don't show her the proper respect. Holly has
a Deslorelin implant from October, Insulinoma, and kidney failure.
We're sure she doesn't know. Holly is still stashing toys and bossing
Templeton around. Holly has always been the mothering sort, so perhaps
she'll "adopt" one of our new additions.

Templeton

Another adrenal, and his Deslorelin implant was also put in last
October. Templeton was taken under Holly's wing, which no one expected.
She taught him how to act like a ferret, since he hadn't seen one from
his kithood. Now at age six, Tempy is rearranging Holly's toys behind
her back and keeping her company since the passing of the third in
their group.

So, who will it be: Lady Wendy? Mr. Nibbs? Chester? Diva? Bugsie?
Casper? Winter? Mandie? Holly? Templeton? You can read more about
Winter, Mandie, Holly, and Templeton on our website (and about the
conditions from which they came).

Go to http://ferretsatheart.com/ and use the "Donate" button on the
left side of the page. Alternatively, send a payment to
[log in to unmask] with PayPal. Any amount is appreciated,
and it won't cost us anything to add you to the email list for a
specific ferret. We'll try this for three months or so. Think of your
gift of allowing you a three-month subscription to the inner workings
of a rescue and the ferret's life of your choice. If you have any
suggestions (other than to put this info on our website), please
email us.

With respect,

Lori of Ferrets at Heart
http://ferretsatheart.com/