From:
Paige Marie Baldassaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 12:44:12 -0500
Ok, so maybe "strange" and "ferret behavior" is a bit redundant, but I am
a bit curious and would like to know if any one else has run across this
particular habit.

Hershey is my little boy and an only ferret.  Consequently, it is very easy
for me to monitor his habits.  He is 3 years old and MF.  Sometimes, when
he goes to the litter box, it takes several tries before he actually goes.
So, he will enter the litterbox, leave and walk about 3 feet, turn around,
enter the litter box, leave and walk about 3 feet, turn around...etc.  He
gets into position, but never actually starts contracting his muscles until
the final time when he actually goes.  He goes (this doesn't happen every
time, but only when he has to defecate) and then he is fine.  I do not
believe he has a blockage, because the size, amount and number of poops
are very normal.  Activity levels and food intake are normal as well.  I do
not believe he has constipation because he gets a decent amount of hairball
remedy twice a week.  It may be gas (sometimes, I hear the gas when he
finally goes, but not always).  Does anyone else have a ferret that does
this?  Or, does anyone have any ideas on what this could be?  I want to
give him Gas-X, but don't really know how much to administer, if I should
sprinkle it on food or with water and if it is safe to administer.

He eats TF and a liquid supplement that I make weekly that contains some
herbal immune and insulin support.  Any ideas would be helpful since I know
he has to be at least very uncomfortable, if not sick.

Paige (Somewhat curious and mildly concerned about my baby)
Hershey (VERY curious and not at all concerned about anything)
I don't think that this is a serious problem, he just went to the vet for a
rabies shot and the vet noticed an enlarged spleen (He was very sick a few
days before), but the vet did not notice anything else.  Of course, since
this is an intermittent problem, I forgot to ask my vet - I know, stupid me.

***********

Graduate Student
Virginia Tech

Department of Geological Sciences
Derring Hall, 4044
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061-0420
email: [log in to unmask]
Tel: 540-231-6030
Fax: 540-231-3386

http://www.geol.vt.edu/gradstu/pmbalda/pmbalda.html
I am a indigestible, vitamin-fortified avenger of the food chain!