From:
Debra Thomason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 11:03:35 -0500
I would caution anyone seeking ferrets from this breeder to be very
careful.  They failed to obtain "approved" status under published
guidelines from a Texas ferret club due to failing inspections and was
eventually told to cease using their name in business or promotions.  The
club received several complaints about the conditions there from individual
buyers as well.  If you are willing to risk a wasted trip against the hope
that there have been improvements, here are some things to check for based
on previous complaints and my own visit.  The number of ferrets there is
excessive.  They are housed in a garage with rows of cages stacked all
the way to the ceiling.  Check on the population-- estimates have range
anywhere from 150 - 300 ferrets, and being the person who guessed 150 and
having since seen a known count right at 150 I can tell you I
underestimated.  The breeder also reports having "satellite" locations in
addition to the onsite ferrets yet also continues to tell folks a story
about wanting to cut down on the number of ferrets.  Check for working and
adequate cooling, flies, cage cleanliness, food and water being present and
uncontaminated in all cages, and health of ferrets.  Look at the build of
the ferret.  Many of the ferrets from this breeder typically have a short,
stocky body and short tail.  The face is also somewhat different, I can't
think how to describe.  When they turn up in shelters they are
recognizable.  Ask to see the parents and a pedigree going back several
generations.  I'd be suspicious if you can't be offered any records of this
type.  Think how proudly small breeders on this list annouce births within
their bloodlines.  Adopters report these ferrets are ECE positive.  This
is a rural location and authorities are spread thin.  As in many such
locations, animal cruelty is not high on their list of crimes to pursue.
The laws are so thin that it is extremely hard to get anywhere (speaking
from experience).  Repeated reports (from different complainants) in such
cases sometimes help.  The USDA has an interest in this breeder because the
large stock of ferrets indicates to them that she does sell to retailers
though she claims otherwise, but the inspectors are spread *extremely* thin
over so large a state, so that's little help either.  Keep your eyes open,
listen carefully (they talk a good talk), and be careful.  I'd recommend
disinfecting before handling your own pets again just in case.  Good luck.

Debra