From:
Jodie Bohlmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:54:30 EDT
Dear Anonymous,

I am sending this to the address listed, but I don't know if the anon.
email address really goes to you or how that works, so I'm posting this
as well to make sure you see it.

I had the good fortune recently to be able to observe for one week in my
vet's office.  I watched her do spays/neuters (as well as other operations)
on dogs, cats and rabbits.  She worked with amazing skill, confidence and
grace.  I doubt that she has ever done an operation on a ferret, but I
believe that as long she had photos and detailed information from an
experienced ferret vet, that she would do an excellent job.  She seems like
an outstanding surgeon (although I've never watched another to compare),
and I would trust her to operate on my ferrets, at least on simple
spay/neuters, assuming she did thorough research on their biological
differences before starting.

On the other hand, she doesn't seem to know all that much about ferret
diseases.  Since I realized this, I've located names and numbers of some
more experienced ferret vets.  They are all at least an hour from me, but I
would not hesitate to drive there should the need arise (unless it's hot
outside 'cause the a/c broke in my car, but that's another story).  I do
not believe that she would have her feelings hurt by my doing this.  She
sees rabbits from hundreds of miles away because she knows a lot about
them.  No single vet can know everything about every single animal.

I guess what I'm trying to say in a round about way is that every situation
is different.  There is no easy answer anyone can give you as to which vet
is the best, but you can make an informed decision.  You can ask questions,
like how many ferret operations has the distant vet done?  If it's only a
few, the benefits may not be worth the risks of making the ferrets sit in
the car for so long after surgery or being far away in case they need to be
rushed back post-op.  After weighing all the pros and cons, you choose what
you feel is best.  Don't feel bad about discussing this with your vet.  I'm
sure he or she wants what is best for your animals, too.  If your vet does
many surgeries per week, and has done a variety of animals, has access to
ferret information and the confidence that this should be no problem, he or
she should be fine.  On the other hand, if the distant vet has done many
ferret surgeries or says that ferret insides are dramatically different
from any of the animals your vet has seen, it would be worth the drive.

It may help to make lists of pros and cons for each vet.  I don't think you
should include not hurting a vets feelings as a consideration, though.
First of all, your vet knows that you want the best for your animals.  I
seriously doubt if this decision would hurt any feelings, especially if you
explained your reasons for your choice.  But more importantly, the health
of your ferrets is the most important thing in this case, even before the
feelings of a friend and veterinarian.

I'm sorry if I've given you more questions than answers, but I think that
with some more research, the best choice will be made clear to you.

NOTE: If any ferret vets out there see this and think it is completely off
the wall, please contact this anon. poster ASAP before she makes a poor
decision based on my well meaning suggestions.  I do not know if there is
something so very different about ferret spay/neuters that an experienced
surgeon would have difficulty with.  Thank you.

Best of luck in making your decision.  I'm sure you'll make a good one!

Jodie