From:
Rbossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 20:30:57 EDT
From your description - bright green, foul smelling, then yellowish - could
very well be a flair up of helicobactor resulting from stress.  Spring and
the spring shed really seems to stress ferrets, plus adding a new cage mate
might have sent the stress level over the top.  I know there is ECE out
there, but I think it's very over diagnosed.  If I had to guess, I'd say
that maybe 80-90% of the claimed ECE cases are really just helicobactor,
which with aggressive treatment, will clear up in less than a week.

Anyway, with all diarrhea, the most important thing is to make sure that the
ferret is getting lots of fluids.  If the ferret is not showing any symptoms
of insulinoma, pedialyte is a good addition to the regular water, but water
does just fine.

The diarrhea you can control symptomatically with Kaopectate.  Usually 1/3
to 1/2 cc a couple of times a day does wonders for the average ferret, but
we've given up to 1 cc 4 times a day just to get the diarrhea stopped.  If
it is helicobactor, Amoxicillin will help bring it under control.  If the
ferret doesn't react too violently (some do) to Pepto Bismal, you can give
that too.  Apparently the bismuth in it also helps kill off the
helicobactor.  If there is much gagging, you can skip the Pepto.  Generally
we add sulcrafate to the treatment too, since helicobactor can lead to
ulcers, and the sulcrafate helps heal any pinpoint sized ulcers before they
can get larger.

The major thing is to make sure that the ferret keeps eating and drinking.
One good way to tell if the ferret has gotten severely dehydrated is to
"scruff" the ferret behind the neck and then release the skin.  If the
ferret is dehydrated, it will stay "pinched" looking.  That's the time to
call the vet ASAP and get the ferret in for some major treatment.

With any illness, it's a great idea to involve your vet.

Dick B.  - Not a vet, just a shelter operator.