From:
Joanne Llewellyn-Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 10:02:15 +0100
Hi Deziree,

I'd just like to say well done on your success with Rio, you have been
extremely patient.

However, I will not let anyone touch my ferrets in anger, since one tap on
the nose can easily turn into a thump when you're in pain.  I know you said
it wasn't a first response, but if Rio does bite again, will you fight fire
with fire again?  I have heard of too many times when an animal has had
his or her nose flicked in punishment, only for the delicate bones to get
broken and surgery has been needed.  In a handful of these instances, the
animal has died under the anaesthetic.

In no way flaming you, just passing on some information that may be handy
if she bites again.

We had a similar problem not so long back.  We adopted another polecat
(viscious wee beasties by nature!) who would bite for apparently no reason
whatsoever, and I do mean bite, I still have a bruise/blood blister in my
nail from a bite at least 4 months ago!  Now, she is a total sweetie (nips
when playing, mind you, but not the viscious biting that went on) and I can
only wonder if it is how we treated her.  When she bit to begin with, she
was punished, but she wasn't bothered about that, biting harder as soon as
the opportunity arose.  We took a different tack suggested by our shelter,
that we should just teach her who was boss.  Each time she bit, we would
tell her "NO" but carry on handling her and loving her for a few minutes,
then put her down.  She learnt after a few weeks what she could get away
with and what she couldn't, and after a couple of months she was nearly
100% in behaving.  Now she actively comes up to be fussed, because she
knows its a good thing.  (Obviously she was never prevented from getting
to the litter pan!)

Well, this worked for us, and although I hope Rio really will never bite
again, the chances are that she may, so if you could try this way for a
while it may work for you too.

Best of luck,

Jo.