From:
Jennifer Hodes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 May 1998 14:03:35 +0000
Hello everybody,

My name is Song, and I'm rather new to the list.  I thought I might
introduce myself a bit :)

I found this list on the Ferret FAQ, and I was quite happy to see it.  I'm a
relatively new ferret owner, and I already have a sob story.  About a month
ago, my husband Tigga and I bought a baby ferret.  He was adorable, and we
named him Freckles.  My husband used to have a ferret a long time ago, but
he had never raised a kit before.  He was a very playful little kit, and
grew rather fast.  We got him a color, and I did my best to ferret proof the
house.  He had grown up to the point where he was ok on his own, and getting
very fast.  I pushed appliences as far up against the wall as possible,
including the stove, to where he couldn't get behind it.  Well, the other
night, he was playing with us (he normally stayed around us) but then he
disappeared for about 10 minutes.  When I couldn't hear his little bell for
a bit, I became a bit worried.  My husband and I went searching.  We found
him in the kitchen with his face stuck between the stove and the wall.  He
hadn't gotten behind it, but he was trying to.  He somehow managed to crack
his neck.  It was very sad, because he was so young, and we loved him so
much.  We buried him at a friend's house by the lake, and cried a lot.  We
will always miss him and remember him as a wonderuful, loveable guy!

I think we learned a bit from that, and we have put a smooth board blocking
the kitchen there now.  Last night we just went out to get a new ferret.  We
found a cute little guy, about 6 weeks old, and very sweet disposition.  We
got him and took him home, where once we got there he proceeded to scream
for 10 minutes flat looking for one of his litter-mates.  When he couldn't
find them, he got even more upset, and unresponsive, so we took him back to
the petstore to see if anything was wrong with him.  As soon as we walked in
the door, he became very alert and excited.... and the closer we got to
their ferret cage, the happier he got.  So, we picked out another kit and
put them together, and sure enough, both of them were thrilled, and they
both came home with us.  They like to sleep on each other in a little ball,
so we named them Ying and Yang. :)  Anyway, I think with these two we might
be a bit over protective.  We don't want any more heartbreak, or these two
little adorable kits hurting themselves.  At any rate, they were no
replacement for Freckles, but they are adorable little ones all on their
own.  We'll miss you Freckles, whereever you are out there!

Anyway, thanks for listening, and any imput for a heartbroken ferret owner
would be most certainly welcome.

                Song