From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 1997 10:06:13 -0400
I would like to reiterate the THANK YOU to BIG for this list.  We get emails
from all over the country-- and phone calls too pertaining to information
for ferrets.  Without the vehicle of the FML we could not nearly reach as
many folks as we do for Ferret Wise Shelter.  FML is a wonderful resource
and without Mr. Moderator-- we could not be as effective.  Thank you again.

I would also like to thank the FML readers - the exchange of information not
only helps those with questions, but the many lurkers who perhaps may have
questions but are to timid to ask.  We share some wonderful (and
occasionally not so wonderful) information which helps the new ferret owners
and perspective owners as well as long time owners.  It also helps us
through our darker days, knowing we can share our losses and move on to
another day.  This vehicle (the FML) is a rare treasure for us to have.

From a shelters point of view-- the FML - SOS postings are a touch of
reality to those of us who are day to day providing care and comfort to
unwanted ferrets.  It also is a way of building strength, for as shelter
folks sometimes become overwhelmed, they can seek some comfort in knowing
they are not the only ones fighting the battle.  Comradery is a good thing.

I would also like to thank those folks who take the time to read the SOS
postings -- Our shelter, Ferret Wise, has in the past month received several
donations as a result of the postings.  We have received some nutrical which
has been greatly appreciated by the surgical patients and the critical care
kid, and two veterinary fund donations.  I also have been told we will
receive a microwave for keeping the duck soup and sub-q IV fluids warm, and
it will be a very welcome donation.

As I post we (shelter Dad and director Pam) are expediting a senior rescue
to upstate NY as two local surgeries have failed to solve the ferrets
problem.  We hope some positive energy and prayers will be sent for Frank
Jr. and hope soon we will have him back at his foster home in fine shape.

Ferret Wise Shelter folks met many folks from NH, VT and MA at Ferret
Awareness Day in Merrimack last week, and several new subscribers to the
shelter newsletter said hello.  We hope to see you all again soon.  The
shelter educational presentations begin on Tuesday in Derry, NH.  Anyone in
the Derry area feel free to stop by the South Side Community Ctr. at 7 PM
for our presentation.  We will have several of our senior kids with us.

Thanks to all the FML readers for your participation and support as we work
to make life happier and healthier for the domestic ferret.

Fondly in ferrets,
Alicia