From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 23:01:15 -0400
Ingella - we don't all keep our ferrets in cages.  Just most people.  I too
feel free roam is best but also understand that in the interest of the
ferrets it doesn't work for a lot of people.  I am single, live alone and
don't have a lot of traffic in and out of the house.  A married couple of
mine have a similar situation and their ferrets are also free roam.  Some
American households are very busy with many children and people coming and
going.  The risk is great that the ferrets will get out.  Its an individual
call.  For those families that have ferrets not interested in the door every
time it opens and super responsible family members - go for it.  For those
whose ferrets seem really interested in escape - best to ferret proof a room
if you can and allow free roam when there's not to much traffic.  These are
just a couple of examples of the wide variety of of situations that
individual decisions have to be made for.

I do feel that if the ferrets are allowed out in only one room ever that if
its not the TV room the ferrets may not see people much and that makes me
sad.  I also feel that ferrets who are free roam are not nearly as "spastic"
as caged ferrets when their out.  There activity levels and personalities
are very different from ferrets who are caged a lot.  Oh and BTW my 3 yr old
ferrets DO NOT sleep 22 hours a day, more like 16-18.

And as for those recommendations that I keep hearing from book authors etc.
"Ferrets need at least 1 hour out a day".  Folks - THAT IS NOT ENOUGH.  It
drives me crazy that this has become some sort of mantra from professional
ferret educators.  My own personal opinion is that an effort needs to be
made as much as possible to have them out where you are approx 4 hours a
day - of course those 4 hours are divided up since they are usually only up
and hour or two at a time.  But I realize people do what they can - I don't
mean to slam anyone.  But I think that if your following the 1 hour
guideline you need to readjust.  Sometimes its safer to cage for sleep time
for the first year and then you can do free roam after they get over their
kitdom.  Individual ferret personalities figure in heavily.  I could not
imagine Giesela caged - it would be just too cruel.  Boris would probably
adjust with lots of play time.

Mary, Giesela and Boris and Booker the dog