From:
Bug Bunny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 23:22:18 +0200
answer to Tim : Bones and Otto - can two ferrets fight so roughly ?

>Are my concerns founded, or is it pretty much natural with males to fight
>this roughly?  If not, what can I do to make Otto take it easy on Bones?
>How concerned should I be about the bite marks?

Well, you can relax !

This is very common and you don't have to worry about it.  It is just one of
those numerous noisy, tough, stupid ferret games, and Bones probably doesn't
dislike it, otherwise he would have fought back.  Otto is tougher for now,
that's all.

Most males do the same thing with females.  If Bones never did this with
Roxie, I suppose he is castrated.  Are you sure Otto is ?

I never noticed females do this.  Some of them sometimes grab another one
by the neck and drag her all around the room, but generally they only play
'boxing' each other.  While playing, males use much more their jaws than
females.

If it really upsets you, the best is to have BOTH ferrets castrated, if they
aren't yet.  This may low the toughness noticeably.  If they are yet, well,
Otto will calm down slightly while getting older.

For the neck marks, you can use an antiseptic spray.  I don't know what is
available in your country.  Here, it is called hexomedine and works well.
If Bones don't have anymore hair on the neck and deep bite marks, you can
try to put him a harness.  This can help, but it can fail.

One should be very cautious when introducing a male ferret to another one.
You are lucky it is only a game, if it was a real ferret fight, you wouldn't
separate them barehands.

Enjoy your little clowns !