From:
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 11:20:04 -0700
>From:    KIMBERLY RICHARDS <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vaccine confusion
>His office does not use FervacD, they use vaccines used by some Ford
>Dodge company or something like that, they do use Imrab3.  I said that we
>can only use FervacD and Imrab3 and the receptionist said that
>they vaccinate hundreds of ferrets successfully with this other stuff,
>and she asked where did I hear that these vaccines were best/recommended?

Fort Dodge vaccines are NOT acceptable for ferrets.  There is no evidence
that use of their vaccines for ferrets is effective.

Every single bit of literature available on vaccinating ferrets points out
that the ONLY approved vaccines for ferrets are Fervac-D and Imrab-3.

Galaxy-D is a widely accepted off label vaccien that should be used when
Fervac-D proves to be a problem.  If your ferrets did react to Fervac than
you should consider this option.

>I didn't tell her the Internet because every vet I talk to says don't
>believe what you read on the Net.

Well then tell this vet, the literature from the USDA.  The REAL source of
information on animal vaccines.  You can actually ask them who they would
trust.  Then you can almost assuredly end up quoting them.

>The receptionist called me back and said that Dr. Langford said that it is
>no longer necessary to vaccinate against Canine distemper once a ferret
>has received a couple of boosters.

But actually it is pretty simple avoid that vet!  That vet is WRONG if the
receptionist said that.  And a danger to aniamls for being so backward
thinking as to not keep up to date on animal health advances.  (Like from
20 years ago.) If you go to the great expense of titer tests you might
find that you can avoid further vaccinations but the cost is way too high
compared to the much lower cost and relatively low risk of continued
boosters.

And for the ferrets health, the distemper vacciens are more important than
the rabies.  The rabies is a bit more important politically in that it can
save your ferrets life from people more than disease.

The vet you used that is further away sure sounds like a better vet to us.

>From:    "Benjamin A. Otten" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Open mouth change feet
>Once again I have proved that my life is a living model for that phrase.
>Well I think I got what I deserved.

I commend this posting.  While not fully an apology it is more so than
many that here say "I'm sorry" but continue to blame the victim.  You
accepted your 'fate'.

-bill and diane
--
bill and diane killian