From:
Juliana Quadrozzi - GA Domestic Ferret Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 00:46:13 -0400
>From:    Stan Siatkowski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re-introducing ferrets

I've seen the same kind of behavior several times.  The 1st time was w/my
original, Gus.  He was there before everyone else came to stay over the
years.  He developed adrenal disease & had surgery, but had a very difficult
time & had an extended hospital stay of 10 days.  I wanted to give him
plenty of recovery time to gain his strength.  Because they become so easily
depressed when separated, I caged him separately but allowed him out w/the
group, under my close supervision.  He was the victim of the same kind of
aggressive behavior w/several of his cage mates who had come to live w/him
for 5 or 6 yrs.

Eventually they accepted him again after I started doing the "switch the
bedding" routine.

I think it has to do w/how they smell when they come back, just my opinion
of course.  They've been treated w/antibacterial solutions before surgery,
have isoflorine gas all over their face, & smell different from sleeping in
other bedding & being handled by strangers who have also been handling other
animals.  Since these guys are scent rather than sight oriented - they come
back as complete strangers, as far as they smell.

Anyway, that's the way I...uh...smell it ;)
 ************************************
>From:    Jason Poole <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: If you have had ECE then you are EVIL!

I'm really sorry to hear that Jason.  I guess I've been lucky.  All the
wonderful people I deal with know what I went through & have always been
very supportive.  No one has ever ostracized me or avoided coming to my
home because my group had ECE.

Jason, sounds like they aren't worth knowing anyway.  You're welcome here
anytime buddy.

Juliana Quadrozzi, Foster Mom
GA Domestic Ferret Association
visit our web page at:  http://www.mindspring.com/~jcrow/gdfa/index.html