From:
West End Animal Hospital <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 19:59:06 -0500
Deborah W. Kemmerer, DVM
West End Animal Hospital
103 SW 140th Terrace
Newberry, FL 32669
(352)332-4357

I wanted to make a post to the FML, since this reaches a large number of
ferret owners.  I just saw my heartworm article in the new issue of FERRETS
magazine, and although it is generally well-presented, there is an
important error.

There is a photo of a dead animal being necropsied, and you can see adult
heartworms in the heart.  You can also clearly see by the paw that the
animal is a ferret.  Unfortunately, the caption says it's a DOG.  There
was originally supposed to be a photo of a dog's heart also to show them
side-by-side, but something apparently got confused.

One of the main reasons I did that article was so people could see an
actual ferret's heart with heartworms in it.  That photo was taken by
Barbara Ludt during a necropsy of a rescue ferret that died.  I thought
it very important that people know that was a ferret and not just to say
"ferrets get them, too."

I'm sure Ferrets Magazine will publish a correction, but that won't be out
until next issue. I just wanted to spread the word.

Thanks,

Debbie Kemmerer DVM