From:
Jessica Cropper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 20:09:25 EDT
Ok, I gave my ferrets a good once-over each the other day, and discovered
several things which led me to see what kind of home they came from.

-One of them has a bald tail, proof of stress from living in a garage in
southern spring weather.  This will heal in time, but it's still sad.

-both of them have tooth decay..  The bald tailed one has the worse of it,
with a green molar and a dark band of what looks loke decay on her upper
left canine.  Their gums don't look too bad to my untrained eye, and they
don't seem to be in pain.( THey don't bite me at all now :)) I'm still
dismayed and worried.

-THeir weight.  THey are both tiny females, I don't know their specific
lengths, but compared to a five month old male they are teensy one year
olds!  Their ribs arent showing or anything, and they seem to eat
healthily.

I know my vet could straighten out all this, so I plan to go soon.  I would
like anyone's input as to what their various vet bills have been over the
years with their ferrets, so I can at least save up a ballpark figure.  I
am a student after all, so I have to slave for a while to get the money
from the dear ole parents!  :)

Also, I was planning on going to the veterinarian office adjacent to my
nearby PetSmart.  If anyone advises for or against this, or can reccommend
a vet in the Charlotte NC area, I would be MOST grateful.  ANY info on the
vet experience would be great as well.

THANK YOU!

Jessica and the SHarks-in-need