From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:28:54 -0500
>PROS and CONS:
> b..  The need for steriods and other insulin blockers is reduced.
> c..  Prednisone irritates the adrenal glands and other organs.  By using
>this mixture and cutting back on the use of Pred you are reducing the risk
>of adrenal problems.  This mixture is especially helpful in cases where
>adrenal problems are present and corrective surgery is not an option or
>has already been done and further >surgeries are not desired.
>
> CONS
>b..  Pred has the ability to retard the growth and production of
>insulinomas in the pancreas.  By eliminating it from the ferret's health
>program, we may be allowing the insulinomas to continue to grow unchecked
>although lower doses of Pred may still be used concurrently with this
>regimen.

 ---

I have some trouble with these statements and the characterization of
prednisone, which is extremely important in controlling the hypoglycemia
with insulinoma.  While we all know that surgery is still the best method
to treat insulinoma, there are many, many animals for whom surgery is not
an option and require prednisone to control their hypoglycemia.

Prednisone is used in insulinoma to raise glucose and to increase the
production of glucose in the liver.  It does not block insulin at all -
it simply counteracts the hypoglycemic actions of insulin with its own
hyperglycemic action.

I believe the characterization of prednisone as an irritant to multiple
organs is unfair at best.  In ferrets, especially those with adrenal
disease, the use of prednisone does not appear to have any adverse
effects, as it has no effects on estrogen producing cells.  As we have
already discussed today, ferrets are a relatively steroid resistant
species, which is of benefit in light of the vast numbers of animals on
it chronically for IBD, EE, insulinoma, and a number of other conditions.
I do not believe that you can legitimately claim that this particular
formulation will reduce the risk of adrenal disease

Finally, I do not believe there is any evidence that prednisone retards
the development of insulinomas or additional insulinomas.  Currently,
we have little knowledge as to what actually causes the development of
insulinoma.  To date, surgery is the only definitive treatment for
insulinoma, although some work with Doxorubricin in a small clinical study
in the NE U.S. is showing some promise when used post-surgically.

While I believe that this particular diet is probably not harmful, I
would be hesitant to endorse its claims of a diminished risk of adrenal
disease, and would likely attribute its benefits to the large amount of
carbohydrate which it provides, rather than any actions of chromium or
brewer's yeast (which are highly unpredictable at best).

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM

[Sukie note: the discussion began when there was confusion over adding
chromium to the diet which has possible benefits when diabetes
(which causes high blood sugar) is present, but is considered to be
counter-indicated when insulinoma (which causes low blood sugar) is
present.]