From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 07:19:32 EST
>I just bought a cocketiel how do ferrets and birds get along?

You will have one happy ferret and one dead bird if you let them together.

>I believe that one of my three boys has ECE (green slime).

Not all green poop is ECE.  In fact most isn't.  Sounds like your guy has a
cold, upset tummy or general case of excitement.  If he is eating, drinking
and acting normal, just keep an eye (you might want to quaratine hom from
the others).  If it doesn't get better on it's own in 24-48 hours, a vet
visit is needed.  Quite often 1-2 doses of Albon will make all better
again.

For the person looking for rubber stamps, try www.acmeferret.com.  They
also have some jewelry and other items ferret related.

One other note...I didn't see Ed's post, so will not comment on it per
say...but I do believe that various laws apply as far as shipping dead
animals (humans included!).  I have donated the bodies of several of my
deceased ferrets to various local vets for research, but the guidelines
were very specific, and the "research" was being done BY VETS for the
betterment of ferrets.

NJ Vets-

On the same note, in your area is Ridgefield Park Animal Hospital.  Dr.
Paul Kim is not only an EXCELLENT vet, but you can tell that he really
loves ferrets.  201-814-0095.  There are several FML'ers who use him.

One other note about shelters:

Fuzztek and Kista are two of the largest shelters in NJ.  Fuzztek is in
North and central NJ, Kista in Southern NJ.  If one gets a call for an
adoption in the others area, we refer them to the other shelter.  Also,
if we screen a prospective adoptor and find real issues and refuse to
adopt, we alert the other as an FYI.  We also try to help each other with
overload when possible, and in severe cases try to help out with money or
bedding/food/etc.  Great example of shelters working together.

Anne