From:
Ken Nyren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2008 11:39:04 -0500
When it comes to clipping the nails everyone has a different technique
and it seems like everyone thinks their way is the best. When I advise
people on nail clipping I tell them to try several methods and tools.
Find what you are most comfortable with. If you are comfortable with
scruffing and using a human nail clipper use that method. If you are
more comfortable with tone on the belly and a cat or dog nail clipper
user that method. What ever method is more comfortable for you will
most likely cause your ferret the least stress as well. If one of your
ferrets, everyone has more than one, doesn't like one method use
another for that ferret.

Personally I use several methods depending on time available and the
ferret I am clipping mostly I put tone on the back of my left hand
between thumb and wrist and cradle the ferret and clip starting with
the hind feet because they are usually most relaxed right when you
start and the hind feet tend to require a more steady hand. Sometimes
I scruff if dealing with a ferret that won't hold still or one that
bites, but even then I usually cradle the ferret in my arm. I always
use the cat style nail clipper (the one that looks like a parrot beak)
I have never clipped a foot pad with these. I have tried the human nail
clippers three times and accidentally clipped a foot pat with them once
and came close a second time. I think they tend to block your view and
there is a lot of extra cutting surface that you don't need to do the
job.

Lastly I like to spend a few minutes loving on the fuzzy after clipping
so they relate that with the nail clipping and it is then a pleasurable
experience.

Ken Nyren, 3/1/2008