From:
steve baer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 May 2002 10:10:54 -0400
Dear VERY helpful Ferret friends,

Our Coonsie is now urinating in his cage everywhere BUT in the litter box
(even in his hammock, beds, towels, cage floor).  He goes out of his way
to poop in the litter box, but then he'll urinate somewhere else.  I have
been watching him when he does this, and I know it is not because he can't
hold it long enough to go to the litter box.  He gets out of his hammock,
and just finds a random place, then urinates there.  It is so weird.  It
is staining everything and we thoroughly wash everything any time he does
this, so we are pretty sure he is not sniffing out any areas to urinate.
We are just getting so frustrated.  Ever since our new ferret (Hunny)
arrived, he is just showing weird habits.  They play together a lot better
now, and get along.  We have to separate them after an hour or two though,
because they start getting annoyed with each other and fight rather than
play.  Does it have anything to do with the fact that he has a cold and we
are giving his prescribed amoxicillin?  His urine is very pungent.  Does
anyone have any suggestions, help, ANYTHING?  We really would like him to
stop urinating everywhere.  He is a good ferret and we don't know what to
do.  We tried putting something strong smelling (Bengay) in the areas that
he is urinating and it worked for one day, but then he figured out what we
were doing and he ignores it now.  Why is he pooping in one place and then
peeing in another!!!  We are desperate!

In the meantime, our Hunny has never "gone" in any place except a litter
box!  Its terrific.  We didn't even expect her to be like this and ever
since day one she's been this way.  We are just waiting for a change like
Coonsie's! :)  We know it's too good to be true, I mean, ACCURATE
"relieving" 100%???  We are blessed, but should we expect a change like
Coonsie's?  What is going on with Coonsie?  Someone help us with either a
WHY he's doing this or a HOW we can fix it...or both!  Thanks as always!

Jen, Steve, Coonsie-the-urinator, and Hunny