From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 12:16:43 -0500
>4) Never FORCE the food down the ferret against it's will.

Again, I do not agree.  I have had many animals who are close to shutting
down completely, if they don't take in food.

I was told by an extremely experienced vet that sometimes it is needed.  I
have force fed animals for decades ( have never ever had an animal aspirate
food) and in some cases, have literally saved their lives because I willing
to force them to eat.  It is not an easy thing to do, nor is it for the
faint of heart.

There are three steps in eating:
- Eating voluntarily, from a dish.
- Hand feeding, which is what Bob is talking about.
- Force Feeding, which is the most drastic step to take but sometimes
  essential.

I will use a ferret example.  When Stan was at his worse with ece, he had
gone from around 1100 grams of weight to 610 grams.  He was chronically
dehydrated, and had ABSOLUTELY NO URINE OR FECES OUTPUT (he was using 100%
of his intake to live).

Since there was nothing else wrong (I would never force a known dying
animal to eat to keep it alive only to die later, i.e. cancer, etc) I took
drastic measures.  I forced him to eat and drink every two hours around the
clock.  Stan did not want to eat, he would try and not take the food in
fact.  My vet gave me direct credit for saving him.  If I had given up on
him because he refused to eat, he would be dead.  Period.  And no good
reason for it either, other than he felt really really bad.  BTW he is
still going strong (4 years later) and still stealing every shoe in sight.

But I do agree with Bob when he talks about being full.  Your vet should
be able to tell you amounts to expect the stomach to hold.  Also, do give
"breathers" in between force feeding amounts.  Small amounts at a time.
That also helps to insure that the animal is swallowing the food, the goal
in force feeding.

>If the ferret isn't eating (for whatever reason), and you have to
>feed it, why dilute the food?

In some cases diluted food is easier to handle and therefor, easier the
handler can control it better, then it is a good thing.  Less chance of
aspiration.  Besides, chances are, if the ferret is not eating, it isn't
drinking any or much either.  It always helps with hydration.

BUT I use very little water in my duck soup and normally use either ensure
or oil to liquidfy.  Both of these are sources of nutrition as well as
fluid.

One of my favorite quick to make duck soups are a mix of Iams canned kitten
food and Ensure.  It is liquid enough to give through a dropper and has
good nutrition in it.  Besides, the ferts love it.  I tend to add a little
Ensure in all my duck soups, it is liked and has a easily identifiable
taste.  Something that can come in handy when putting crushed up hated
pills into the soup.

>2) force feeding LIQUID FOOD is dangerous

Can be, not is.  Big big difference here.

Mo' Maggie and her Musty Monkeys