From:
Chris & Shelley Knudsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 13:57:16 -0700
Hello all!

Just a few things, I was catching up on my fmls, and I noticed someone
mention that they ordered Totally Ferret from Performance Foods for $45 a
bag, plus shipping and handling.  Jeffers Pet Catalog recently added the
20lb size to their catalog for $35 plus shipping and handling.  The number
for the Jeffers Pet Catalog is 1-800-JEFFERS.  I also noticed someone asked
about a ferret collar.  They have great adjustable collars with bells
attached also relatively cheap.

I recently was asked from a ferret club member to post this question on the
fml for a possible answer his vet might not know (he goes to the most ferret
knowledgable vet in Omaha).  His ferret is recovering from adrenal surgery,
and has regrown most of his hair back except for the hair over the
shoulders, some on the back, and over the hips.  Not all of the tumor was
able to be removed, but the ferret is not currently on any medication.  His
problem is, the ferret has very dry skin.  So dry to the point is the ferret
is scratching himself bloody.  The vet said there is nothing she can do for
him, but this gentleman just wants to be sure that someone else might not
have an idea.  He hates seeing his little guy in pain.  I have already
suggested he put the ferret on Lysodren for the remainder of the tumor, and
use some Avon Skin So Soft for the dry skin.  And after catching up on some
past fmls, I will also be suggesting he add some vitamin C to the fuzzies
diet.  Is there anything else anyone might know of to help the little guy's
dry skin?  I would appreciated any thoughts, ideas, or past remedies.

I have recently started thinking of giving my own distemper shots to my
shelter kids to save money.  My vet is supporting me in this, and she has
said that she will also provide me with Recover, which is the steroid shot
she has always given the fuzzies when they had a reaction.  She suggested I
only give the shots during open office hours, and I only live about 10
minutes (5 with no traffic) away from the vet clinic.  My question is, I
know those of you that give your own distemper shots usually pre-treat with
childrens Benadryl.  How much do you give (orally I assume), and how far in
advance of the distemper shot do you give it?  If the ferret does have a
reaction, do you give more Benadryl, or do you either head for the vets, or
give a shot of something like Recover?

You can either respond to the fml, or e-mail me at [log in to unmask] or

Thank you very much,
Dooks and kisses to all your fuzzies,
Shelley Knudsen
Legion of Superferrets of Nebraska Ferret Shelter