From:
Catherine Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 20:21:38 -0500
Dooks to all, and my best wishes for you and your fuzzies.

I would like to comment on something that has been bothering me a bit.  You
are all so knowledgeable on ferrets, and I have so much to learn.  And I
enjoy learning from all of you.  One thing I do not enjoy, however, is the
"bashing" for lack of a better term that is going on again.  Please, folks,
don't do it.

Mr. Lipinski (and if I misspelled your name, I apologize.  It was not
intentional, really), you seem to really love your ferrets and it sounds
like you put on some really fun gatherings.  I wish I lived closer to WA so
I could attend some.  I read with interest your post on curing bad biters.
and although I think there are good ideas, I couldn't put a tight figure 8,
the way you described it, on a ferret of mine, no matter how they bite.
BUT, (and this is no flame!) just because I disagree with you does not mean
I don't think you have good ideas.  Wasn't it Patrick Henry that said (or
something similar if I've misquoted) "I disagree with what you said but I
will fight to the death your right to say it!"

Don't distract us from your good by your obvious disagreement with the
Killian's approach.  Mr. & Mrs. Killian sound like very intelligent,
knowledgable ferret people too.  Yes, I like their picture.  But, I am the
kind of person who kisses her ferrets on the lips and my 5 year old daughter
does too.  I kiss dogs, too, I admit it.  (No, my mother didn't teach me
that, but that's another story....) I would not put a ferret (or any animal)
up to my face or a child's face without knowing the animal.  I would, with
complete comfort, let a child kiss my Pato or vice versa.  Pato has "NEVER
BITTEN." Nipped in play yes, but never even a tooth mark, even as a kit,
when I knew absolutely nothing about ferrets and before I discoverd the FML.
The Killians, as I understand it, knew the animal and it's traits.  They
felt comfortable and were in direct supervison.  Isn't this the kind of
portrayal of ferrets we all want?  Obviously, they wouldn't put their child
at risk for a "cute" picture?  Can't you feel their intent?  Please don't
pull yourself down by this.  You disagree.  Fine.  People do.  Disagreeing
with someone doesn't make one person more right than the other one, any more
than my walking into a garage makes me a car.  I did not intend to offend
you or anyone.  I just hate to see us get into petty disagreements that do
our ferrets, and ourselves, no good.

Ferret people are the most wonderful on earth.  I have a very, very dear
friend (although I have never physically met this person, or anyone else on
the list yet) that is hurting so badly through bashing and flaming.  If we
would all just talk out our disagreements, and not turn nasty, it would be
much easier on all of us, don't you think.  We don't need to hurt each
other.  And words can be sometimes more damaging than physical violence
IMHO.  They haunt you.  Bruises can fade, words tend to linger and fester.
So, I'll get off my soapbox.  I think you're all wonderful.  I want everyone
to feel that way.  Maybe I look at things like Pollyanna, but it doesn't
hurt.

Dooks to you all,

Catherine Garcia
"Behind the Zion Curtain"