From:
K Hindall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 19:23:53 -0400
OK, *now* I'm mad enough to spit tacks.

The good news first: Milo came through surgery very well.  The fracture
above his knee went together beautifully.  He can be released tomorrow
afternoon.

The bad news: When looking at the post-operative films, they discovered
that he had another older break that was not visible on the first film.
It's to the same bone, only up by the head of the femur (near the hip
joint).  It was completely in line and had started to heal, but surgery
had dislodged it.  It can't be repaired by surgery.  It can't be wrapped
(the wrap would cover his penis and he'd wet the dressing--if he were
female, there'd be a chance).  It will heal crooked, and he will limp
somewhat for the rest of his life.

Ah, I said, when the vet told me this.  Then he did hurt himself in the
first fall.

No, the vet said, the first fall was a month ago, right?  This break
could not possibly be that old.

In short, Milo suffered a severe injury early to mid last week and no one
noticed!  It's possible that the injury was on Saturday and started to
heal right away, but I don't think the vet believed that.  (I figure that
there was granulation at the one break but none at the other is pretty
convincing evidence.)

So I went next door and informed them that I am giving him to the ferret
rescue.  I didn't want to do that; I wanted to convince them of it; I
don't think my voice should carry over theirs simply because I have paid
for his care on this accident; I didn't want to be giving orders.  This
is a whole different thing, however.  I did not accuse them of abuse, but
I told them that if he suffered three severe injuries in the space of one
month, regardless of the cause of those injuries, clearly he was not safe
there.  I did have a minor argument with the boyfriend; he seemed unable
to absorb that my distress is that Milo has suffered so much and that the
only way to make sure he is safe is to take him elsewhere.  It took some
doing to get into his head that the money I have spent is not the issue
and I am not seeking its recovery.  He said I shouldn't talk about the
details because it upsets the kids.  *Shouldn't* they be upset that Milo
came to so much harm while in their care?  How are they to learn that
animals need care if they don't grasp that Milo was *severely injured
three times in the space of one month in their home*?  Shouldn't they
understand *why* I am not permitting Milo to return?  The man was
completely unable to grasp the concept of Milo as a *being*.  He
understands that the children are beings (thank goodness), but that Milo
is a who and not a what is beyond him.  (And they say that we folks with
Asperger's lack empathy!)

The mother didn't say a word.  I am worried about that.  If she's very
angry at me, she could try to take Naz (formerly her cocker spaniel, but
mine for three years and in my custody for four).  I doubt she'd succeed;
I never let him outside by himself so she couldn't steal him, and no
judge on the planet would give him back to her with the strength of my
case at this point for ownership.  Nonetheless, I fear that she is now
going to consider me an enemy.  I think in her eyes I have done to her
what she was generous enough *not* to do to me.  (She had agreed to let
me keep Naz simply because I didn't want to give him up.)

I just can't figure what else I could have done.  If she wants the $100
back that she spent on Milo, I'll give it to her (the boyfriend seemed
to think that it was significant that she had paid that for him--more
of that "Milo is an object" thinking).  I was thinking about seeing if
I couldn't get some ferret experts to come visit and help with
ferret-proofing advice, but ... three severe injuries in one month?
Bruising that was of an age not to fit with any of those established
injuries?  The vet mentioned that, too.  I think he was trying to tell me
Milo has been abused without saying anything that could legally count as
slander of his family.  Whether it's pure neglect (leaving Milo to get
himself hurt) or actual abuse, I DO NOT CARE!!!!!!  He is *not* *safe*
there.  He needs to go somewhere that he *is* safe.

I'm scared for me now.  But I don't see what else I could do.  How could
I let Milo keep getting hurt?