Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 1995 07:05:27 -0500 (EST)
BIG is right on this one.  They don't test humans for rabies exposure.
Having just gone thru this, I feel someone knowledgable - at least on
NYS protocol.

In mid-February, my dogs were outside (night) in my fenced-in backyard.
I heard them barking that bark that said, "Mom, we've got an animal
cornered in the yard!" (Yes, I can tell by the way they bark what they
are trying to say) Thinking it was my neighbor's cat I flew outside to
get the dogs - I knew there was an animal out there because it growled
and I thought the dogs must have gotten it in the throat because it
didn't sound like a cat - it was much more 'gutteral' and deep in my mind
I was thinking it almost hissed like a ferret - my dogs came in covered
w/blood - thinking they were scratched to @#&% I quickly washed them off
to discover no bites, no cuts.  Now I was thinking the cat is in really
bad shape.  I went outside w/my flashlight going, "here kitty, kitty,
kitty......" Then I looked down the street to see a racoon sauntering off
into another yard.  AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!  I had racoon blood all over me.  I
called 911 and they got me in touch w/the County Health Dept.

Since the coon was gone I had no choice but to go thru the rabies
vaccination series.  In NYS, the County Health Dept pays for anything
not covered by insurance - or they pay the whole thing if you don't have
any insurance.  The series runs about $800.

The first vaccination MUST be given (at least in NYS) WITHIN 24 HOURS OF
EXPOSURE.  The first day I had THREE shots:  2 immunoglobulin shots in
the butt (4 cc each) and 1 cc rabies vaccine in the arm.  That was on
a Monday.  Thursday, I had the 2nd shot in the other arm.  Following
Monday, a shot in 1st arm, 1 wk later (Monday) shot in 2nd arm, 1 wk
later - again (Mon) shot in 1st arm - skip 1 wk - 2 wks later (Monday)
had last shot.

I developed a reaction by the 3 injection.  My arm broke out in a rash
all over and it itched like crazy.  My arm felt like it was going to
fall off and my fingers swelled up.  Since I could breath (!) they
weren't too concerned but I did take lots of Benadryl during this month
and I used cold compresses on my arm and that helped considerably.

They would not use steroids since that decreases the effective of the
vaccine.

I have decided to keep up the rabies series.  I'm all set for 2 years and
then I will only 2 injection a couple weeks apart to keep the immunity.
After what I went thru, it would be wasteful not to keep them up.

So, bottom line is, if they can't catch the animal and you have a
questionable exposure in NYS, you need the rabies series.  One more
thing, the Health Dept called me each week to be sure that I had kept
my appointments!!

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA