From:
"Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 22:35:04 -0400
Hi gang,

I guess today is just another day in the life of a shelter mom.... got a
call first thing this morning for two to arrive today.  They are well taken
care of, up on shots and all (thank goodness) and were on a decent diet.
Only catch is that they are 5 and 6 years old.  Having ECE here makes it
necessary to put them in foster care rather than expose them because of
their age.  For now they are at my mom's with Angel, who is also older and
has a seriously advanced adrenal tumor (which was probably ignored for two
years!).

The females name is Jasmine and, are you ready for this one.... the males
name is Fruitloop, well, at least is isn't Bandit (two of those here
already).

I have lost count completely as to how many ferrets are here
(thirty-something), all I can say is that the shelter is FULL!!  Oh of
course I can take in more, and I will I am certain.

It is just that I have reached a point that I never believed possible...that
I now have 'enough' fuzzies around me.  I am very surprised at this because
I believed that if I had a hundred fuzzies here I still would not feel like
there were enough to satisfy my "addiction" to them.  I cannot put into
words how much I love these little fuzzbottoms.  If all I had to do was play
with them I could probably handle a hundred, gladly.  But when you consider
the *time* and *energy* it takes to care for them all, I think I have been
forced to realize my limits.  When it comes to the *financial* part to
support them, I have passed that 'limit' long ago, but with the help of all
of you, and the shelter sponsors and other wonderful people who help with
some of the expenses, (not to mention my patient vets) I am keeping them all
fed and cared for.  (Though the vet bills are piling up.)

Now, I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression, that perhaps the kids
are not getting enough attention, etc., or that I am "burning out" or tiring
of this.  That is *not* the case.  Every single kid here gets more than his
or her share of love, kisses, playtime, toys, food, treats, etc., etc., and
they always will.  I still love what I do and would not change it for the
world, my only wish is that we could reduce the number of 'needy' fuzzies
out there who have to come to shelters and find new homes.

Oh, by the way, the new little boy (the former biter) gave me kisses
today!!!!  And, NO, he never offers to bite me at all, not since his second
day here.  Just shows you what "love" can do.

White Fang...
Got a call today from Bob!!  He expects to get White Fang to me here around
the 18th.  I can't wait.  He says she is doing wonderful, though she is
keeping him on his toes.  He says she follows him around like a puppy dog,
and sleeps curled in his arms.  (I think he is just hinting that *he* should
keep her.) Yes, Bob, I know what you are up to!  I am just concerned that
she does not get along with other ferrets and rumor has it that you have one
or two of your own.  We will have to discuss all these things when you
arrive.  I only want the best for her, and I know that is what you want too.
Standard proceedure here is to quarantine and evaluate the ferrets'
personality for at least 3 weeks before they are even up for adoption.  I
also like to 'visit' the kids in their new home periodically, and since I
can't travel much, MO is quite a stretch to make an adoption, though I am
not exactly saying no, I just need more information about several things,
after all, I haven't even met her yet.

Well, I also have 6 boarders coming in Thursday so things should get quite
interesting.  I have run completely out of fingers and toes, so I cannot
even count that high.

Ooops, phone is ringing <again> so I gotta go.

Talk to you all later.

Trish