Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 08:35:54 EDT
I received a call last week about a ferret that had taken up residence
under a family's shed in their backyard.  I live in Northern VA, and this
family lived across the street from NOVA's Annandale Campus.  I asked them
to "catch" the ferret, since they said they didn't see it every day, and to
page me.  I'd pick it up.

The next night they paged and I called back to make arrangements.  Arriving
after dark, they invited me in to see the ferret.  I gave them a ferret
magazine and my card, and they presented me with a beautiful silver male
Marshall Farm ferret.  At first glance of his face I thought it was a kit,
and checking out his teeth, he was definitly under a year.  Then the
shocking news - this ferret had been living under the shed since the 4th of
July and been fed Deli Cat by this family, played with the neighborhood
children, and was beautiful, sleek, and in great condition.  He had fleas,
but was not infested.  This ferret has survived through a massive heat wave
and drought in my area.  The family called me because they were afraid the
ferret would perish come wintertime and they wanted it safe by then.

The smallest child in the house had called the ferret Billy, so I just
expanded it to "Billy the kid".  Since I had a 15 month old MF deaf ferret
as a personal pet (and he was wearing out his 4 and 5 year old cagemates),
I thought Billy would make a nice playmate and decided to keep him.  I'm
probably going to the Baltimore show in Maryland on Oct 30, so if you want
to see a real survivor, as well as a lovely example of a evenly shaded
silver ferret, seek me out.

Pam Troutman
Shelters That Adopt & Rescue Ferrets