From:
Peg Francisco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 20:52:45 -0400
For those of you who were interested in the song in the Ferret
documentary.

This was written and sung by Barb Carlson, shelter mom from Pittsburgh.
Barb told me it's about an event that really happened, and is posted
with her permission.

"I Have a Little Ferret" by Barb Carlson

I have a little ferret who likes to steal my things.
She takes my shoes, and my socks, and all my shiny rings.
She hoards up all the plastic, she likes the denture cream,
And in her little ferret eye, she has an impish gleam.

[Chorus: Ferret, oh ferret, gatherer of "stuff"
Ferret, my ferret, when will you have enough?]

She likes to steal potatoes and hide them 'neath my chair,
And by the time I find them, they're all covered up in hair!
But my silly little ferret comes chirping in dismay -
How could I be so mean, so cruel to take her prize away?

[Chorus, repeated between each stanza]

One day she took the garbage bags, connected in a roll.
She stuffed them up inside my couch all through a little hole.
She wove them in and out and through the springs under my couch
and with it made a little nest -- a comfy ferret pouch.

And then with single-mindedness, she feathered up her nest.
She lined it with my children's socks -- she really liked them best.
And then she decorated it with bits of treasure found -
Treasure being anything that chanced to hit the ground!

She lined her stuff up neatly, to a ferret's practiced eye,
and settled in, quite blissful, with a deep and happy sigh;
but this was her undoing -- she wouldn't come when called
and I was forced to find her. When I did I was appalled!

She had my husband's denture cream, my long-lost camera cap,
with 13 pair of dirty socks, a roll of plastic wrap,
erasers (full of teeth-marks), some pencils and a pen,
two jelly beans, a gumdrop, all stacked inside her den.

She had my daughter's wristwatch, she had my son's old shirt.
She ripped out my shoe linings, which seemed to be unhurt;
two cat toys and a dog chew, the stuffing from a doll,
a little wad of plastic tape all rolled into a ball.

It took me 20 minutes to pull out all that stuff!
It took me 20 minutes more to vacuum up the fluff;
and when the ferret was let loose, her joy at freedom plain
it took her only seconds to put it back again.