From:
Rachel Gay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 23:44:42 -0500
Hi all!

Now I know, I should always look even when it doesn't apply to me.

I have a 3 yr old neutered male that has lost a lot of weight, rapidly.  He
has had some funny poop and I was planning on taking him in this week after
trying Kaopectate with no success.

I was out of town for the weekend and came back to the report of "one of
them" has been vomiting.  He is the likely suspect, but I have no proof.
He hasn't seemed himself today, nothing obvious, just a little more sleepy
than usual and not quite as bright as he usually is.  The only really
obvious signs something is wrong is he has lost a lot of weight, and he
wasn't too interested in food.

My usual vet is out of the office for a couple of days so I went in a got
some Science Diet AD, and some carafate.  I have force-fed (actually
hand-fed with a syringe, he likes it) a total of 20cc over 2 sittings.
He's not dehydrated and his color is fine.  I also haven't seen the funny
poop since I brought home the meds and he seems brighter.  He also had a
full barium series of x-rays last week on an unrelated note.  At the time
he was acting like his usual self so I didn't think anything of it.  The
x-rays came back clean.

The only long-term weirdness is that he has had fits of what appears to be
an allergic reaction to something.  He turns bright red, vomits, and has
profuse diarhhea.  He's had maybe 3 episodes total over the past 2 months.
These episodes have had no impact on his day to day as far as appetite and
playfulness is concerned.  It has been obvious to me that I am more
bothered than he is by them.

My concern is that his digestive tract is upset and that is causing him to
eat less, which is causing the funny poop, which upsets his belly more,
etc.  Does anyone think I'm on the right track or have I gone looney?

The plan of the moment is to keep up the carafate and AD over the next 24
hours and see how he does, if it fixes it, great; if not, then we take a
trip to the vet tomorrow (Tuesday), but he has already said that I'll need
to advise on what to do, so: what should I do?  I'm already considering a
blood sugar test, but that will have to wait until my vet comes back and I
don't want to fast him until I'm sure he's eating better.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Rachel