From:
Liberty Luciano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 08:57:29 PST
My family and I recently went to a pet store to get a new toy for our
hamster and while their I was visiting the ferrets the pet store had.
This is a usual habit of mine ( I have always wanted to add a ferret to my
family).  Well to make a long story short I was told my wonderful husband
that if I so chose a ferret could be my Valentines present.  I agreed quite
quickly.  As I looked at the two darlings in the cage I could not decide
which I would like to take home with us.  After holding one of my boys, it
was obvious to me by the face looking back at us from the inside of the
cage that it would be both or none ( the are quite attached to each other
having been together since birth.

We have three human kids also who already love them but my problem is that
one of the cuties (their names are Havoc and Mayhem) is a nipper.  Don't
get me wrong they are both a little nippy but Mayhem is worse.  Goes for
the toes constantly.  As well as other soft spots occasionally.  I don't
want to tap their noses because I don't want them to be afraid of us but I
also don't want my children to be afraid of them.

I have read many of the letters people have sent in and have tried the
scuff method but it doesn't seem to work too well.  Mayhem will be fine
sometimes and them all of a sudden seems to go into a bite fest.  I can't
think of what could set it off one minute he will be playing around and
seeking attention and the next he is sniffing your leg or some other body
part and trying to take a nibble.

A good example was last night, I was laying on the couch and he was laying
next to me while I was petting him and the next he took a bite out of the
underside of my arm.  Not just a nibble but a bite.  We have all taken to
wearing shoes while they are out (which is almost all day) but we need some
advice on how to stop this before one of the children gets hurt.

Any and all advice will be more than appreciated.

The new gang on the block.