From:
Beth Stoker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 08:23:03 -0600
I've been sitting on this question for a while.  While I was camping over
the fourth my vet tech friend was telling some of the people with us that
they shouldn't vaccinate their dogs any more.  They had older dogs.  She
explained that once they get that certain amount of vaccine (just like
people 1 vaccine and 1 booster) they are vaccinated for life.  That after
that it is really just vets trying to make money rather than keep your pets
safe.  She was also saying that there was a study done (on dogs I believe)
that after a certain age it was dangerous to give them vaccinations because
it did something to their immune system.

Is this true?  Are we continuing to vaccinate only to protect our fuzzies
from ignorant people?  Is this true with ferrets that after a certain age
vaccines actually impair the immune system?  I guess that's more than one
question.

I don't really know whether to believe her or not.  But I do know that she
has been trained and I haven't.  I think this list is an excellent resource
because of the knowledge contained here (thanks BIG) so lets pool these
smarts together and see what we come up with on this one.

Beth, Minerva & Frumpstiggle the marsh wiggle in Denver, CO
-- Found out why Denver is so cool when it comes to rabies and ferrets -
according to the health department there has not been a case of rabies here
since 1931.