From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2006 11:16:23 -0400
Holly wrote:
>That is the first assumption made when there is hind-leg weakness, but
>it has been my experience that anything that makes a ferret weak will
>cause hind-leg weakness.  It seems that is the weak spot in a ferret.
>So any ferret that stops eating or gets weak for any other reason will
>usually get the hind-leg weakness.
>The only thing that can be assumed for certain when hind-leg weakness
>is present is that the ferret is weak for some reason, although I think
>some back injuries can also cause this symptom.  I know this isn't
>really an answer

Not only is that an answer, Holly, it is the THE most correct answer.

Hind end weakness in each leg happens for any reason that causes severe
illness or weakness: infection, anorexia, insulinoma, cardiomyopathy,
kidney disease, lymphoma or other malignancy, saddle thrombosis, etc.
Insulinoma is likely the most common cause but it is far from alone.

If it is only one side that increases the chances that there was an
injury or (less commonly) a thrown clot (thrombosis) to a limb.  Ferrets
have not been documented to have strokes but some serious illnesses cause
clots to be thrown and those are thromboses.  Some can go to the brain,
but actually they can land in number of locations in the body: lung,
kidney, limb, major vascular junctions (as with a saddle thrombosis) etc.
with the symptoms varying depending on the location.  In these cases
sometimes an anticoagulant can be given -- ferrets vary in if or how well
they cope with those meds as individuals -- and the underlying cause
needs to be treated whether it is heart disease, kidney disease, lympho,
or another cause.

Hind end weakness is always a reason for a vet visit, and it is always a
reason for a careful exam and diagnostic tests: CBC with chemistry panel,
perhaps chest x-rays, perhaps thoracic or abdominal ultrasound, or both,
etc.

If people do not have ferret vets some lists of ones recommended by
ferret people can be found in
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG15794

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not speaking for any of the below in my
private posts)
Recommended health resources to help ferrets and the people who love
them:
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
AFIP Ferret Pathology
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
Miamiferrets
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
International Ferret Congress Critical References
http://www.ferretcongress.org